Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
TileGoomba

Need Wisdom

Hi guys. I have been doing wood for several years and just recently got into tile. I have been working with a mate of mine for awhile now and now I am doing jobs for him. I did some searching but didn't really see what I was looking for. Since I'm new to tile it does take me longer in every aspect of tile to do it. Can you guys give me any tips in the grouting area? I can spread and form pretty well but it always takes me forever to clean. Is there anything I can mix in my clean water to help me clean it easier, kind of like the rinse agent in spectralock? And also about spectralock. I grouted a shower 3 days ago and I accidently left a little grit on some of the tile. Its not horrible but you can feel it with your hand. What would be the best way to remove this? I was going to use a hand held scrapper very gently but didn't know for sure. Also do you guys use a sponge with the scrubby on one side for epoxy grout, or a regular sponge like you would with tile?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Well...I'm and old "sponge man," but I have been converted to the newer grouting systems. ANY kind of a larger area can benefit frome these. Worth the money? Yeay, you bet!

http://www.tiletool.net/Ultra_Grouting_System.asp

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Never used the spectralok but I did read very specific instructions on their site on how to clean it. Including a chemical that will help if you left something on the surface.
As for regular grout. The less water you can get away with and the less pressure that you put on the sponge the better. Pinch the edge of the sponge between your thumb and index finger; then lay the rest of your fingers across the top. Use these fingers to hold the sponge to the floor without anymore pressure than that. Clean water every 100 ft. Scrape well with your float. And finally; some grouts just suck to use(black, dark greys, etc...). Accept it. Also alawys second wash.

But the best grout tip of all is; get a helper and make him do it so you don't have to.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
johntrent

I have to agree with Laz - a grout system is definitely worth the $$ if you do many large areas.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
TileGoomba

Thanks for the info guys. I actually clean the grout off just as you are describing. I don't put any pressure on the sponge because I don't want any drag out. And yes I agree the darker colors just suck. Its not that they are harder to clean, its that the color stains my hands for days. I hate gloves so the only time I wear them is when I use epoxy grout, which is what I'm doing tomorrow. I believe the cleansing agent you were talking about is what comes in the commercial unit. There is a initial rinse agent and a final rinse agent (both powder) that you add to your clean rinse water. They say it makes the cleaning easier, I don't know because I'm not going to try to clean it without it! My mate has that grouting system, he said that it left grout all over and it was a mess trying to get off. I believe he just used it improperly. Would you say it would be handy for anything over 100ft? Being bent over stretching out all day kills my lower back. Also I would rather grout myself to make sure it looks good, it can make your tile job look like a turd if its a bad job. Plus I like to keep all the cash! haha.

Last edited by TileGoomba; 12-10-2007 at 08:52 PM.
TileGoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

i once spread 6,000 feet in one day over 18x18s while two others washed, ever since then 400-1000 sq ft floors just seem small to me ever since

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

About the only thing we don't use it on is backsplashes. Definately a time-saver once you get the technique down.....and, since the sponge stays flat, your grout joints tend to remain fuller. Just make sure you wring it out REAL well. The biggest mistake is having the sponge too wet. Just "work over" an area to get it equalized and get the bulk of the grout off....then rinse and one BIG wipe, rinse, repeat.....(Hmmm, sounds like a shampoo commercial...)

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
TileGoomba

Well I'm sold on the grouting system so I'm getting it next week!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
matman
Tile contractor

Have any of you guys who have used the Ultra Grout system, also used the Raimondi system? I read some negatives about the Raimondi system. I am wondering how the two compare to one another. Do you think it's better? I was looking at buying a system. Any input at all would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Any of them with the triple rollers should be fine....

http://www.tile-stonetools.com/Ultra...ing_System.asp

Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
TileGoomba

Laz,

I took a look a at my mates system today when I was at his shop. His only has 2 rollers on. He said that it worked great, or seemed to work great. He said they left the job that day as happy as ever but the next day they walked into a haze war zone! He is a pretty good tile guy so I don't know if it was just new and he didn't clean well enough or if the system he has was the problem. I think it might be his system because he said that it really cleaned the heck out of the tile on cleanup, just it hazed very bad overnight. His costed him $89.00 at a local supply, I don't know the brand vecause its not on it anywhere. So I guess since there isn't a name on it they aren't very proud of it....haha. I'm going to ored the exact one you have through the link you provided though. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
KenH83

I have one similar to the one posted above, its made by barwalt and has 3 rollers on the top..

I'd never go grouting without it.. you must change your water just as often but it works great. nice long clean wipes.. instead of using a dirty hand sponge over and over..

I like it. Buy the barwalt one, Ill find you a link soon.
KenH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep, my post on #10 shows the Barwalt System. That's what we use and it works great.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase