Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-23-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
malbin

Lightbulb

First off just want to say....this is a great site!
It has given the the confidence to try to finish a basement bathroom by my little old self. Dare I say a mud man in the making... more like a mud boy at this point...

Here is the problem...

The room is rough finished with walls and rock. (Cement floor) The center of the toilet drain is only 9" from the wall to center... Hmmm... what to do? Will a 10" rough in toilet fit? In the interest of planning and before I have to do lots of rework, I have tried to come up with a couple of solutions...

1. chip, cut break, remove the concrete and use an offset flange. Seems like a major pain. maybe some code issues as well.

2. since the walls are unfinished. I was thinking or creating a small recess in the wall behind the toilet. Basically I would reframe a box in the wall by turning the studs 90 degrees.. shouldn't be too difficult

BTW.. the wall are not getting tile... just paint most likely

Any better suggestions from anyone??

thanks all
Michael
Old 08-23-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I have seen twelve in toilet fit onto an eleven inch rough drain. Tight to the wall, but they fit. The ten might work the same way. I hate to see that wall trick. I've seen it before and it looks like a screw-up.

If that doesn't work, you can do a l-inch offset. That's not too tough.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
If you're already in there to put in an offset, you might as well go the rest of the way and fix it proper. A few more whacks with the sledge and you can get it out to 12", then you don't have to spend the extra cash for the 10" toilet.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
JC

Hate to be a pessimist but I don't think there is any easy remedies for this...get out the Sledge....hope it is not a terracotta drain those can be rascals.

Another cheesy way out you have is to build a platform for the commode...weve all seen that to.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
malbin

thanks....

I am thinking I am going to get out the sledge for a bit... the pipes are actually PVC so it shouldn't be too difficult. Gonna bring it out to a 12" rough then..
I am taking pictures along the way... and will post some when it gets further along... thanks all for the comments.. just needed a little reassurance..
Michael

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic
Old 08-27-2002, 11:04 PM   #6
IBJT
Official Chief of Police, JB Forums

Great slogan

Quote:
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic
I Love it!

Re: The 9 inch toilet... Good idea to move it!

Famous last words: "I wonder what this button does?"
IBJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase