Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
SeattleTim

Which MAPEI mortar for thinset of ceramic tile

Howdy,
The MAPEI mortar systems are very confusing and their web site looses something in the translation. I am installing 4 and 6 inch ceramic tile on the floor and walls of a bathroom and tub-shower with CBU over tar paper. What is the best mortar from MAPEI for this application? Cost is secondary but still a consideration.
Thanx for reading,
Tim
SeattleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
Mike2

Hi Tim, welcome.

Go with Mapei UltraFlex II. Perfect for your application. Light colored tile and grout, get the UF II in white. Lowes should have it. If not, head on over the Home Depot and get Versabond from Custom Building Products.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Just to be sure...the tar paper behind the cbu on the walls is fine. Do NOT use it on the floor, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and embed it in thinset on the floor.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
RLeVan

Hey Tim,

I'm not sure if you're getting Mapei premixed thinset or in the bag. Only reason I ask is because the box stores around here only sell Mapei as premix. As an alternative, I've had great results with Laticrete's 317 Floor-n-wall thinset which you have to mix on your own.

In the Mapei line, I really like their Keracolor series. Doesn't turn into a concrete block on a DIY'er immediately.

Good luck on your project.

"When I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane"
RLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
SeattleTim

Thank You!

Thanx for all the help.

Mike - I agree with the UF 2. I am now thinking Ultraflex 2 or 3 or the Kerabond with KeraElastic added to the wall application.

Hello again Jim! I understand about no tar paper on the floor. I was mixing applications there. On the floor it will be 3/4 ply CX, thinset, CBU with HiLo screws, and then thinset with tile. The wall is as you said, studs, paper, CBU, thinset, and tile. Thanx for checking.

Rick- I have read good things about the Laticrete products in the Taunton press books but have not seen them around Seattle. I was going with the bag stuff here. Lowes has plenty of choices in dry MAPEI mortar and i am going to look elsewhere. One good thing about MAPEI is the range and availability of matching caulk and grout.

Thanx All and to All a Good Night,
Tim
SeattleTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com