Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
EasyPete

Question Difference Between Lots

To tile my bathroom floor I need 90, (including waste) 12 x 12" tiles. After finishing the wall tile there are 60 tiles left from the original lot. The 36 tiles of the second lot measure an eight of an inch larger in each direction. With 3/16" joints it seems this will cause problems.

Is this an acceptable difference between lots?

Thanks, Pete
EasyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Mike2

Pete, I'd call 1/8" difference unacceptable. Completely unacceptable. Are these tiles seconds, factory rejects, etc?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
EasyPete

"Are these tiles seconds, factory rejects, etc?"

Absolutely not! The original order was for 34 twelve piece cartons (400+ft) of a "stocked" tile. The walls were done up to 54" all round and before starting the floor I counted up material and realized I was 30 tiles short.

My supplier said he couldnt garauntee the same lot #, but mixing 30 tiles from one lot into 60 tiles from another seemed it would be alright. Until I realized the second batch is an eighth inch larger each way. I cant imagine trying to use them together.

Pete
Old 12-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Rd Tile
Tile Man

The color might be off, but should be the same size, happened to me with a listello border, ran short and the next batch were 1/4" wider, lucky I just set them, had to remove them all for the new ones, tile showroom picked up the difference.

Sorry for your problem though, maybe ask them to order another lot and see what happens.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
KurtH

I just picked up some Daltile from "Carpet and tile liquidators" Got home and realized half the boxes were a little bigger. The back of the tiles had a totally different pattern on the back too, which made it easy to figure out which were the bad ones. Finally got all the same ones. They were little less than 1/8 off, but would have caused problems.
KurtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
Jeff_kitchen

Hi,
I'm just a diy'er'; not a pro, but it seems if you were 30 tiles short of your "paid" order, then your supplier should be fixing this issue. Although that may not be entirely possible given today's available lot #'s. At least the tiles are larger. If they are the kind of tile that have square edges, maybe you or the supplier could cut them down to size.
Jeff_kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #7
EasyPete

Thanks men. I hafta deal with the supplier this morning and was wondering how much double talk I should take from him. I was expecting a slight difference in color and/or pattern between lots, but not a difference in tile size.

Pete

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase