Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
bunt

Natural Stone Soap Dish(caulk Or Grout)?

I am just about finished tiling a shower. I have a few corner shelfs, kinda like a natural stone. Most soap dishes have protrusion in the back, all you do is cut tile and leave a rectangular area open for the dish and thinset it in, there are no gaps around the dish because the dish covers the tile, then all you do is caulk around the dish.
The shelfs I have do not conceal the cut, so do I cut the tile and leave a small gap to caulk, or leave a joint the same width as the grout joints around the dish and grout around the dish?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Eastrick

Larry-
I did mine (1/4 round natural stone shelves, 8" radius), the way you describe your second option. I didn't consider any other way. I did it that way because I figured that the thinset holds the shelf to the concrete board, and the grout provides some more support for the edges. I know grout isn't structural, but it "locks in" the shelf into the recess in the tile. I used epoxy grout, too, which is pretty strong stuff. I think the only thing I would have considered doing differently is using something besides thinset to attach the stone to the CBU.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
bunt

I do like the idea of using grout around the dish like you did, but the only thinkg I would be concerned about is the grout cracking in the future. Not sure if that's an issue or not.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
Eastrick

I wonder the same thing

I wonder the same thing. Hopefully when I have children, none of them decides to play Tarzan in the bathtub and swing on the shelves.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Larry,
The fixture you have is referred to as a flush-mounted corner shelf/caddy. You can mount it directly to the face of the tiles. 100% silicone will do a fine job of securing it to the walls. You'll need to temporarily brace the shelf into position while the silicone sets up. Use a piece of wood to hold the shelf up at the desired height, and some duct tape to hold it tight to the wall.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." - The guy on the two dollar bill.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 AM   #6
bunt

Kurt, thanks for the reply. The shelves I have are about 1" thick and are flat. The have a finished edge on the front. The two corners which butt into the wall protrude out approx 3/16" (looks like they are designed to rest on a tile, then the shelf is put in and the rest of the tile is bucked up against it). I already have The tile it rests on up and I notched it for the shelf. At this point I dont want to take the tile off. The are porcelain tile and they are on a kerdi wall. After I rest the shelf on the tile below (or hold it up 3/16" to match the rest of the grout joints), should I but the rest of the tiles up tight, or hold the rest of the tiles surrounding it 3/16" away and grout around the dish?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com