Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
b_ross

underlayments? im confused..

So i've been reading and searching this site and others regarding what sort of underlayment i should use for my kitchen tile project. Wonderboard, Hardibacker, Durock??? What to do.? I know it is a big project to take on for my first tile project, but i have already started prepping the rest of the kitchen for the renovation. Please advise..

Thanks,

Brian
b_ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
bbcamp

All the backerboard products have to do the exact same thing, provide a thinset friendly, stable surface for your tile. They all have to meed the same testing requirements. The main differences are aimed at the installer, not the end function. Go look at what's available at your local building supply and home store. Start with the least expensive and see if you like the way it looks and handles. Then install it the way that board's manufacturer says to.

Many of the pros have developed a list of likes and dislikes, but they do a floor or 2 every week, so they handle a lot of the stuff. You won't be doing enough to tell the difference.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase