Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
karenpj

Scratched Porcelain Tile

is there any way to repair scratches on porcelain floor tile? these are the result of metal hurricane shutters being blown in and battering the floor on our condo balcony. any suggestions appreciated.
karenpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Hi Karen,
Try "Barkeeper's Friend" clenser and a white nylon scrubbing pad. The clenser should be in your supermarket, right next to the Comet and Ajax. It's very good at removing "minor" metal abrasions, and usually won't affect the tile's finish. After this, I would try using the clenser with a pumice stone (also in the cleaning aisle under the name "Pummie"). This is rougher than the white nylon and will probably scar a highly glossed tile, though a matte finish tile should still be okay. Aluminum is a soft metal and so it's unlikely tha the tiles themselves have been scarred by the shutters. But if you can "feel" the marks with your fingernail, you may have to plan on replacing the tiles afterall.
Remember to "test" these scrubbing recommendations in some inconspicuous area before unleashing them on your floor. The tile under the refridgerator is usually a good spot for testing and it often needs cleaning anyway. Give it a really agressive scrub, wipe it clean, and then use a flashlight or other bright light to check the reflective quality of the finish on the tile. If it looks "dull', your glaze is too soft for that particular remedy.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Karen. Where are you located, just out of curiosity?

I don't know of anything that will actually repair the scratches, but try Shaughn's advice. You might also post this to our cleaning and restoration forum.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
karenpj

thanks for the advice Shaugnn, i will let you all know how it works out. i live in Coconut Creek, FL, just outside Ft. Lauderdale. trying to clean up after Wilma.
karenpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
ltlscott

I just finished a "regrout" job. Jeeeze i will never again! But i managed to scratch a few tiles. They were a tan colored porcelain glazed tile, but the sratches are white, due to the diamond tip blades. When it is wet you cant see the scratches. Should i try to find a porcelain paint to rapair them or should i try to "polish" to give a permanant wet look? help!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
cfischer69

I feel pretty stupid, but I've never had tile before 15 months ago when I moved to Florida and bought this house. We have large (12x12) basic white ceramic tiles. It seems like we have more and more scratches, but we cannot for the life of us figure out how we are getting them. We sweep (with a broom) and mop (with a Libman mop) 3-5 times per week. We don't move furniture around, we don't move appliances, we don't have pets. We do have children, but I can hardly imagine what they would do that would scratch all the way through the white surface.

Can anyone solve my ignorance?

Thanks!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com