Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Allison

Wink hidden panel

Hello to all you folks of tile your world! Considering this is my first post I want to say I am so glad you are out there. I have done quite a few diy projects and am slowly breaking into the world of professional tile setting although I realize I have so much to learn!
I am currently working my first bathroom remodel project and have removed the tile surrounding the jetted tub. I need to make a removable panel which will also be tile and was hoping for some grand ideas as the original tile setter attempted to create one with caulk hiding a few screw heads into the cement board. I tried to remove it without breaking the tile although I did break some so got out my chisel anyway. This is kind of exciting for me as this is my first post on a web site ever!
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Mike2

Glad to have you with us Allison

Here is a pretty good thread on access panels. Read through this one here then come back with any additional questions you may have. As a matter of fact, come back anyway even if you have to make up a question...we want to hear from you again.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
bbcamp

Hey Mike! We gotta come up with something better than the old "caulk the hidden screws" trick. Allison's on to that one.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
Mike2

Yeah Bob, I've been thinking about that too. I suppose we could give pain old fashion spit a whirl.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
tony the tiler

I'm getting close to constructing some access panels myself. I looked at the magnetic ones, but thought some of the magnet material used for refrigerator magnets, the cutable stuff might be better. You could epoxy the whole perimeter of the panel cover with magnet and attach some metal around the frame of the opening. Should be enough surface stuck to hold pretty good. Whatdaya think?
tony the tiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Rhode Island Flooring
Bill

Send a message via AIM to Rhode Island Flooring Send a message via MSN to Rhode Island Flooring
I make a paper map which maps the screws out and the screws line up on grout joints, I grout the whole thing then if it has to be removed look at the screw map and remove the grout there, also put a piece of tape over the heads so you can get the bit in there.
Rhode Island Flooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Allison.

If this project is your first professional one, we'll move you into the Pro Hangout. You doing this for money or just for funsies?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Allison.
Quote:
This is kind of exciting for me as this is my first post on a web site ever!
I think you done perty good fer a girl.

Tony:

There is at least one manufacturer the makes a kit with magnets and "special" bolts you pewt in the tub frame and you can adjust the depth of the bolt to adjust the fit, etc. Grossly overpriced as I remember it (don't recall who it was).

All you need is some magnets you can attach to the cover and something ferous to attach to the frame. The bolt heads worked well because of the adjustment. Everything you need is off the shelf, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
tony the tiler

Thanks cx. Actually it's Schluter that makes that magnetic system. And it does look overpriced. Definitely paying for the idea, not the materials. The bolt heads are a great idea. I sure like this forum!
tony the tiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Yeah, I liked the bolt-head eye-dee, too, Tony. Fella could just use some short, fat lag bolts into the framing. Be adjustable enough, I think, and you shouldn't be doing it more than once, maybe twice. The magnets from kitchen cabinet latches, the good ones, should be adequate, too. And cheap.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Allison

hidden panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Allison.

If this project is your first professional one, we'll move you into the Pro Hangout. You doing this for money or just for funsies?
Howdy John
thanks for welcoming me, the montana girl. It is my first tile shower/bathroom remodel project for money. I built my first shower pan by myself with the help of your posts and those of others here on t.y.w. and it turned out great. I tiled the floor and have moved on to the walls which continues on to the wall surrounding the tub. I think that I'll do my access panel last. The tub is triangular and the contractor built a half octagon to surround it. One of the sides of the octagon is exposed to the walk in shower so I can't get away with wood paneling for asthetics sake.
So the pro hangout sounds intriguing.
Thanks for everything,
Allison
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Allison

hidden panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
Glad to have you with us Allison

Here is a pretty good thread on access panels. Read through this one here then come back with any additional questions you may have. As a matter of fact, come back anyway even if you have to make up a question...we want to hear from you again.
Mike
Thanks for the invite and for the link to the thread. I did read through that and was wondering if I could get away with tiling a sheetrock panel which is 17" high by 26" wide and caulking it in as John suggests or if I might buy some insurance by adding a few magnets to it. I will need to get down to our little hardware store and see what they carry.
(I didn't even have to make up a question!)
Allison
Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
This thread is in the Hangout now. For a small panel you can use cement backer board or Hardi-backer. I make panels out of sheetrock, but I wouldn't do that in a wet area like a shower. I've posted pics of access panels. I'll see if I can find one. Just substiture the drywall for cement board. The panel would be caulked in with a matching caulk.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com