Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Pamela K

marble question and shower smell question

I recently ordered a marble chest with sink for the bathroom that has a marble counter top. The marble is black. It has slight places throughout it of little white specks etc which looks to be the marble color variation. However in the very front, it has a mark right in the center of the front edge that looks to be more of a scratch than a mark. It looks just like a white scratch about as wide as a piece of rice and 3/4 inch long, and fairly straight up and down. In fact it is not even installed yet and people that have seen it are asking where we got it and if it is damaged. We got it at a well known local Furniture store that special ordered it for us. It was a fairly good price. The store owner said this is just the way the marble is. Does marble scratch? There is also a wider white mark closer to the side in the front that is much larger than this that you can even feel. I wondered if it could have been hit and the top of the marble scratched off here. The marble is little squares because you can tell it is squares put together. What do you think?

Also I have a question about a smell in the shower. We purchased a large older home a couple of months back. In the downstairs shower it has kind of a nasty smell in it. I am not sure if it is the water or what. Any idea?
Thanks for any insight or info you can give.
Pamela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi Pamela,
MArble is a very soft stone and does scratch easily. For this reason, it's important to teach yourself how to properly care for and clean your stone. Can you feel the mark when you run your fingernail across it, or is there no groove? It's very common that marble will have veining which isn't always complimentary. As it's not installed yet, you could approach the store and try to return it for it's "visual" defect.
The smell might be any number of things. I'll assume you've got a tiled shower pan, right? First, I would remove the drain screen from the shower pan and look/sniff inside. With a screwdriver, clean away the gunk on the sides of the drainpipe and look for the weepholes (there should be three around the inside of the pipe just above the joint inside). Do the weepholes have hard white deposits extruding from them or is there mushy material coming through? A cup or two of bleach in the pipe, while you have the drain screen off wouldn't be a bad idea either. Are there sites in your shower where the grout is discolored, like from mildew? Are these areas in the corners or on flat walls? Are any discolored areas close to windows, wall niches, plumbing fixtures or the shower dam? If you have a glass shower partition, are the sealants in good condition or are they brittle and/or cracking? Is there mildew at any of the glass seals?
What's the area around your toilet look like? If it's tile, are the joints discolored (even slightly) as if they might be a little damp? Do you have a fan in this room and if so, have you checked to see that there is not built up stuff inside the fan that could be causing the smell? Does this room have any windows that open? Is there a crawlspace which someone could access to inspect the area under the bathroom for evidence of leaks?
Well, there's your homework for the day.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Pamela, Welcome!

Your marble countertop is a marble veneer. They are very thin pieces laminated to a wood top. They don't leave much room for restoration of scratches. Yes, the top is probably scratched. You could try to take a toothpick and carefully dab on some clear fingernail polish to see if it will help darken the scratch.

Does the shower have a tiled pan in it?

Are you on a well and septic system, or city water?

Can you share some pictures?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Mike2

Hi Pamela. Happy Sunday to you and welcome to the forum.

Marble is very soft and will scratch quite easily. If you wipe it with a damp cloth, does the mark with it's chaulky white part all but disappear? Temporarily at least until it dries out. A picture or two of those marks would help a lot.

Re. the smell I assume the shower has been used recently such the trap below the drain grate is filled with water. This prevents sewer gas from entering the room. Other than that you need to look very closely for signs of a leak. In general what does the shower look like? Any evidence of mold/mildew around the tiles, especially in the grout lines? And especially around the curb and at the floor to wall intersections. Any bowed wall areas, or tiles that move when you push on them real hard? If that shower is leaking it would create a haven for mold growth, and in time dry rot throughout the sub-floor and framing structure. And all that business would give off a smell.

---------------

Edit P.S. Hey, how about that Pamela. You've got three people unknowlingly typing and trying to help at the same time. We do aim to please. If they would turn the light on in this place maybe we could see each other.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Pamela K

Thank you for all the responses!
The larger scratch you can feel with the fingernail. I used a wet rag and rubbed it and there was not really a change in the color. Sound like a scratch?
I am going to check out the shower more and ck all the different info you all sent. See what I can find out.
If this does sound like a scratch I am going to call the furniture store and see if I can return it. I myself think that at least the larger one is a scatch but didnt know enough on my own. What do you think since i can feel it with my nail?
Thanks again!
Pamela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
MarcusEngley

Hi Pamela,

Does that downstairs shower get used much? Just wondering if the water in the p-trap might have evaporated, letting sewer gas come through... That'd be the EASY fix...
MarcusEngley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Pamela

As far as the marble scratch. Could be, more than likely, but not absolutely.

Without seeing it, can't be 100% sure.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
silverfox

I'm with Marcus on this one....I've remodeled a lot of old places and there is often one shower that was rarely, if ever, used. The water that sits in the trap dries out letting the sewer gas through to the room. Happened in the house I'm presently remodeling. Just run some water in there and let the trap fill up and I believe your problem may be solved. There could be other problems but your description of the "nasty" smell leads me to believe it's sewer gas. Fill up the trap and air out the room...see if that helps.
Mike
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase