Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
salmond

Resealing an existing slate shower

Hi. We just bought this house with a beautiful slate bathroom. Of course we are having problems with the shower which is rough slate floor and walls. We are having the "typical" problems: peeling and rusting in a few areas but not the areas which are mostly used. It is like dirt in these areas. The main problem is in the corners and the backside of the entrance. Maybe they remain the wettest though the drainage is good. Seems to me we should reseal the whole thing as it is a few years old and has never been resealed that I know of. What sealer do you reccomend as there are several in the online store. I also need a cleaner. Please give me a suggestion as this is all new to me.
Thanks
salmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Slate is a problem in showers....I would use the Kleenzall,and then let it dry and use your choice of stone sealers...all will work..and some are less expensive.Unless you want to enhance it..then make sure the shower is dry for a day or so,so it will soak in well...it won't enhance very well if the stone is holding water.The water based sealers will still work on stone that contains water,not standing water,,,,,,,but i like to let the stone dry for a day myself. Unfortunately,none of these will really stop the spalling.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com