Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
garyl53

1/2 in bow in backsplash wall - fix??

Hi,
I am tiling a bath vanity countertop. I am planning on applying a single row of trim tile across the lower back as a mini-backsplash and as a base for a full wall mirror above the vanity. The problem I have is that the wall behind the vanity appears to be bowed almost 1/2 inch or more in the center of the wall. I checked the mirror that was removed from the wall and sure enough the mastic on the back of the mirror is almost 3/4 in thick in the center and ony 1/4 inch thick at the edges. I am not sure how to fix this since I want the trim tile to align with the bottom of a new mirror to be installed and if I install the trim as it is it will not align with the mirror.

Any suggestions?

Gary
garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Paul Zoske

I would remove the drywall about 12" up from the vanity top, shim out the bowed area and install a piece of 1/2" cement board. That way you've got a good flat base for tiling the back splash. Since you won't see the area behind the mirror anyway, the seam where the cement board meets the drywall can remain unfinished where it doesn't show. Where it does show you can finish with regular drywall mud, sand, and repaint.

An alternative approach could be to float out the bowed area with hot mud (powder mix drywall mud). This will take some finesse and as a tile base probably not ideal but I think for a small backsplash it would be fine.

I have to do these kind of fixes sometimes when trimming out (carpentry) jobs where walls are wavy and there is a gap too big to hide any other way.

Them framers and rockers just figure its up to the trimmers to make it all work.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
garyl53

Thanks,

I was afraid that would be the answer. I can do that though. I think the mirror will cover all of the seams anyway since it is planned to go wall to wall horizontally.

Gary
garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com