Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
LazyPup

Send a message via Yahoo to LazyPup
Kerdi, sheetrock & the Plumbing codes?

I am a master plumber by trade so I hope you will understand that I am as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to Kerdi systems, however I have a serious question regarding the use of membranes and sheetrock for shower walls.

Both the International Residential Code (IRC) and the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) prohibit the use of Sheetrock or Water Resistant Gypboard (Greenboard) under tile in a shower enclosure until the wall is at least 70"(IRC) & 72" (UPC) above the elevation of the finished drain.

The codes do permit the use of water resistant gypboard (Greenboard) on all walls except within the shower encloser.

Water resistant gypboard (Greenboard) may not be installed on a ceiling if the framing is greater than 12" on center.

REF: IRC 702.4.3 & 702.4.2 UPC 2512

Personally I like the membrane system and see where it could have some distinct advantages in my business, however I don't care to get in the proverbial cussing contests with the local inspectors

I like to feel that I stay current with all the major plumbing codes so perhaps you can advise me if the Kerdi system has received a recent code approval that I am not aware of.
LazyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
sometimer

Lazy pup, checkout this thread: upc links

sometimes I tile, sometimes I work on my '60 falcon longroof and sometimes I do nothing at all
sometimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
IRC has outlawed the use of greenboard directly below the tile. That's all. They have outlawed "sheetrock showers" after all these years. It has nothing to do with the Kerdi method.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
LazyPup

Send a message via Yahoo to LazyPup
The links show the Kerdi system is approved for the shower pan and drains, however that does not address the quesition of the walls.

Under the International Residential code the only materials currently listed as approved for walls behind tile in a shower enclosure is cement backerboard.. IRC 702.4.1

The Uniform Plumbing code says it is up to the local authority.
LazyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
sometimer

that seems odd....with a waterproof membrane it shouldn't matter what's behind it.... it's a dry area.

sometimes I tile, sometimes I work on my '60 falcon longroof and sometimes I do nothing at all
sometimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase