Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
sirivr

Which tile saw for cutting granite tiles ?

Hi,

I need to cut 12x12 granite tiles about 35-40 cuts to install on my fireplace. I was thinking of renting a good wet saw from HD. But, the guy says none of the ones he has works well for granite as granite chips if the saw is too fast or too slow....He suggests to look at other rental places with better selection....

Please help. What speed works well for granite ? What kind of saw should I look for ?

I don't have any more tiling plans, so prefer to rent than buying....I am thinking of calculating the measurements and marking the tiles before hand with exact fit, rent for a day, cut all of them, then set the tiles next day. If I need 1 or 2 more cuts, I will just take them to HD and have them cut it for me.

thanks
Ramesh
sirivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Hello Ramesh,
As usual, the folks in the orange vest have sowed half-truths and misinformation. I don't doubt that the saws that your local store is renting are underpowered and not suited to cutting granite, but not for the reasons you were given. Speed is a cutting issue, but any professional quality saw will have enough speed and they would have no business renting equipment that wasn't of a professional grade.
What's more important is the quality of the blade on the saw and whether or not the saw is cutting square or needs adjustment. A professional rental yard will have a blade specific to cutting granite tile and will likely charge you for the wear you put on the blade, which they check with a micrometer. A professional rental yard will also likely have maintained their equipment properly and they will be able to confirm that the saw they rent to you will cut squarely.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
rmelo99
Network Engineer by Day\ Hardcore DIYer by Night

I have an MK-370EXP and an MK Hotdog blade on it. I have made probably 50-60 cuts in black granite 12" tiles with it and it is still going strong. Plenty of water is key with granite, I turned the water pump up to maximum on the wet saw. I even did 45 deg cuts on the edge with no problem.
rmelo99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com