Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 09-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
robert august

nailing tack strip into cement

any thoughts on how to naul tack strips into concrete for carpet to be cut back to tile, two closets that have to be done, do i just nail it into the cement with a regular hammer
robert august is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Special tack strip with concrete nails, Robert. Just hit them little boogers one smart lick with a framing pounder. One smart lick. Ain't a time to be gentle, but is a time to be accurate.

If the tile is already in place (bad eye-dee), some of us who ain't as confident of our accuracy as once we mighta been will use a large drift and pounder on it instead. Ruin your day when you smack one of them tiles instead of one of them tacks.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Indiana Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert august
any thoughts on how to naul tack strips into concrete for carpet to be cut back to tile, two closets that have to be done, do i just nail it into the cement with a regular hammer
Get some 5/8 reinforcement nails it will make your life easier.
Good balanced hammer will help.
most flyswatters will make you hit the base/ tile ect....
Indiana Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

This is the one thing in tilework that i admit I CANNOT DO!Nail in a tack strip,and i've practiced for 25 years!

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
chukar8

You can also glue it down with "liquid nails" let it dry overnight and itll be fine.
(clean the concrete of dust etc. first though)
Old 09-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
robert august

chukar i like the glue idea, i normally dont do this i make the homeowner get somone ot do it, i set tile not carpet but they are friends so i have to make an eception, thanks for the ideas
robert august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
tileguy80

actually the best way is to use a masonary bit with alluminum nails. The alluminum nails are square and when forced into a round hole mackes for a very good connection. The reason in know this is that along with tile, I also install carpet sometimes. Man do I hate installing carpet, to hard on the body, give me tile any day of the week
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Indiana Floors

Lot of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy80
actually the best way is to use a masonary bit with alluminum nails. The alluminum nails are square and when forced into a round hole mackes for a very good connection. The reason in know this is that along with tile, I also install carpet sometimes. Man do I hate installing carpet, to hard on the body, give me tile any day of the week
Drilling and tapping is very time consuming.

Been laying floors 23 years and I can count the times I have drilled and tapped.
Glue is good I will liquid nail if I have the dry time, 24 hours.

Epoxy works good also it drys in 15 minutes.
Try the Contact Cement aisle at Lowes,Get the epoxy works good for small areas.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
tileguy80

Only alot of work if using a cheap hammerdrill, I have one that will drill a hole in any concrete in about 3 seconds. Alot of times if you use nails they dont always hold good. Don't have to worry with the aluminum one.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I've heard of the aluminum nail method, Jason, but I've never seen the nails anywhere. Not that I've looked very diligently.

And I don't know where the "tapping" came in. Just drillin' and drivin' is the way I see it, and I certainly agree that drilling small holes inna concrete with a decent hammer drill is quick and painless.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I think every tilesetter should know how to finish a carpet transition. I say this because it is a skill I have yet to learn, and I know I should be able to do it.

I just hammer the dual purpose tack strip in. If you are worried about smacking the tile, use a small piece of plywood as a shield. Hold it vertically like a wall in front of the tile edge. That will direct any misplaced hammer blows.

I can finish a carpet to a marble threshold, but I have yet to learn how the carpet guys do that rolled edge that goes right against tile on slab. I have been leaving those details up to the homeowner to call the carpet guy back.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
JoeC
Tile and Marble Contractor in So.Cal

If you worry about hitting the tile, a quicker alternative to liquid nails is urethane glue from a flooring company. You can work with it in about two hours. It really holds! JoeC
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 AM   #13
sdaniels7114
Flooring Contractor

You want to keep your shoulders square to the wall that you are attaching the tackless next to. The hammer has a tendency to swing left/right, not so much up/down. Its a hard habit to develop since your moving laterally as you drive each nail; but it cuts way down on misses. That means you have to get up and get in the closet, not work from the outside. You also want to hold the tackless down on the floor as firmly as possible with your free hand. I use the Aluminum nails on the real hard floors; but you have to use a hammer drill to make the holes. A regular drill will wear out the bit in 5-10 holes for some reason. A hammer drill keeps the bit sharp for hours.

Industry standard calls for 1-1.5% stretch on virtually all wall to wall carpets. That's roughly 1.5 inches of stretch over 10 feet. If you don't have the means to get that kind of stretch, a kicker will only do it in very small areas, you might as well let the carpet guy install the tacks and do the stretch. An understretched carpet is not very different than a tile job set directly on OSB.

Steve D
sdaniels7114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
THe roll look they get is from a thing called a z bar. It goes under the tack strip a piece of metal. I am sure you have ripped some out. It acts like a vice grip and pulle the carpet. I use a 16 oz eastwing hammer for tackstrip. I also use my finger as a gauge from the tile or wall when nailing the strip in place. they make an idot proof carpet tucket that is plastic I like to use in case my eyes arnt that good and miss the nail. I agree every tile man or gal should know how to finish a carpet tuck on a job. I am sure you guys have come across this alot in your stone age time. They do make that new strip that glues down but it sucks the big kaohalla. Waste of money. good luck and make sure you have 9 fingers when you are done.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #15
Indiana Floors

Sounds like thats covered eh!

Some drill and tap some hammer,some glue.

I have met very few slabs I cannot nail.
Most that I cannot nail are watertight basements that cannot be nailed has to be glued.
No holes in the concrete.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com