Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
bgabbe1

Smile using grout over grout adhesive

I did the kitchen counter top and bought the premixed grout and adhesive. It was very messy and dried very quickly, now the grout lines are too low. I tiled the rest of the kitchen useng grout I had to mix and it worked great. My question is since it is adhesive/grout can I use the grout that has to be mixed over it. i am not sure if it will stick or not? Thanks Bobbi
bgabbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Remove it and I would be worried about the tile coming loose as well, seeing you used pre-mixed adhesive, what type of tile and size is it?
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
bgabbe1

I used 6 inch pourus tiles diagnally and bordered it with 2 rows of 2 inch tiles also pourus, then a decorative piece around the edges
Thanks Bobbi
Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
bgabbe1

Sorry it is ceramic tile
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

We consider these premixes, in general, other than acrylic, to be junk..they don't dry and harden well enough to form a permanent job.I also would recommend redoing anything done with these premixes, you're countertop will fail,in a short time, i'm afraid.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
bgabbe1

thank you

Thank you for your response, can I just rough up the grout lines then apply the new grout over it? Will it stay in the joints? Or do I have to chip out all of the grout? Thanks Bobbi
Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
MarcusEngley

Hi Bobby,

What the guys are saying, unfortunately, is that you may need to pull up the tiles that you've laid down and redo the countertop. Did you lay the tiles with a premixed adhesive as well as using a premixed grout? That stuff is just mastic -- glue that will take a long time to dry, if it ever does, and will reemulsify if it gets wet.

You want thinset and grout out of a bag, both being mixed with water -- that will give you a high quality job.

So what's the word? Premixed out of a bucket under the tiles?

Marcus
MarcusEngley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
bgabbe1

Hi Marcus

I used the grout in a bucket that was premixed and it also is the adhesive. It is not water soluable. The stuff is as hard as a rock. Thanks Bobbi
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Bobbi,

I wouldn't redo anything. But the cement grout (mixed with water) won't adhere will to the grout you first used. You'll need to cut that stuff down as low as you can get it to make room for the new grout. That way, your whole top will be pretty much the same.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
bgabbe1

Thank you

I will try that this weekend and I want to tell you I think this is a great site and I am glad I found it for all my future home improvement needs. You provide a great service to newbies like myself. Bobbi
Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
bgabbe1

regrouting over mastic

I want to thank everyone for there suggestions, I took the rotozip to the grout last night and got all the old stuff out and will be regrouting with the good stuff tonight. I will post pictures when I am done. Thanks Bobbi

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com