Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
billnj01

Question Best Grout for Kitchen Floor(DIY)

Hello All,

I have just laid 18" Dimetra Glazed Porcelain tile with a 1/4" space between tiles on our kitchen floor. The tile is a mixture of redish brown colors with a matte finish. There tile surface is slightly rough, with sporadic "nooks and crannies".

Originally I purchased through "special order" from HD, Trafficmaster premixed stain resistant sanded grout hoping to protect the grout from my kids, dog, etc. However, after reading through various posts on this forum, I am a little nervous about using this grout.

Please let me know if this is a disaster waiting to happen. If it is, what would be the best grout with accurate, wide selection of colors for a DIY to use? Does it provide any stain/moisture protection? Should I use grout release and will it effect the coloring of my tile?

Any help or guidance from a pro would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
billnj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Bill,

Defintely stay clear of any premixed "grout". That Trafficmaster stuff is worthless. Hopefully you can return it for a refund.

One of the experts will be along to help you out. They claim to be working during the day (setting tile or something) so you might have to wait a bit for an answer.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Bill,

Home Depot carries almost the complete line of Custom's Polyblend grouts. Use the sanded -- any color you like except bright red.

Return the Traffic Master and slap the guy in the aisle for letting you walk out of there with it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
billnj01

John,

Thanks for the advice. I actually went back to HD and returned the Crapmaster grout and purchased the polyblend. I asked the Home Depot rep about Prism, but they had no idea that it even existed. When they pulled out their Custom Build catalog it was over a year old. Sometimes I feel trapped by the incompetance at HD, but I am forced to live with it.

Any advice on grout sealer?

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
sunset65

I, too, would also like to know which sealer is best for sanded grout. I am putting tile down throughout my living room, kitchen, utility room, ect. Thanks!
sunset65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
stullis
Flooring Installer

Best sealer? There are a few very good ones out there.

The TYW Store here carries Stone Tech products which are very good.

http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog...fab3b01df0a5a5

AquaMix is another great brand.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Ron_h

Polymer fortified grout or Epoxy grout

Options>>

1: Use a polymer fortified grout and then seal it with an impregnating sealer ( 14 days after installation)

OR

2: Use epoxy grout. No sealer needed!

The Grout Doctor
http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca
Ron_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
HDtilegrunt

Prism grout is available through special order at all HD stores. If they don't have a current order book, have them call Custom and order information will be provided. If John would like or allow, I'll post order information for all 12 colors so anyone can go with the information and order what they need. Prices may vary in different areas but it's around $32 bag and will arrive with the normal weekly Custom Building Products order. Turn around time would normally be 1-2 weeks. Megalite thinset is also available through special order and is about $47/bag for gray and about $52/bag for white. Even if the new Custom book is in the store, the Megalite thinset is not listed in there.
HDtilegrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
By all means, Grunt. Post the info. Maybe send it to Mike2 also. He may decide to put it in the Liberry. Of course, he might not.

Welcome aboard, Ron. Feel free to stop in the Pro Hangout and introduce yourself.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
HDtilegrunt

Prism Grout Info

Order numbers for Prism Grout

Order#/color #/Color Name
PG50017/500/Haystack
PG50117/501/Bone
PG50217/502/Linen
PG50317/503/Earth
PG50417/504/Whisper Green
PG50517/505/Pewter
PG50617/506/Blush
PG50717/507/Terracotta
PG50817/508/Bright White
PG50917/509/Khaki
PG51017/510/Seafoam
PG51117/511/Teal
In addition, Prism Grout is for use with joints of 1/16" to 1/2" so there is no sanded/non sanded versions. Complete technical details are available here
View Color Chart

Megalite Thinset
Order#/Color
MLMW30 White
MLMG30 Gray

I would suggest if you plan to order in the evening, you call ahead during the day to make sure they have the listings for the grouts in their order book. As pricing may vary regionally (not sure), if they don't have this order information
in their books, ask them to call Custom's support # to get pricing so it's ready when you get there. Megalite is not listed in the book, so calling for pricing will be required even if the most current Custom order pages are at the store. Many other CBP items not listed in the order book can be special ordered by calling Custom for order#'s and availability. These would be the same order numbers used anywhere CBP items are sold, such as Dal tile if your local Dal stocks Custom

Grunt

Last edited by HDtilegrunt; 09-01-2005 at 06:01 AM.
HDtilegrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
billnj01

Grunt,

Thanks for the info it is truly appreciated.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com