Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Question RE using Teflon-treated grout with marble:

We are about to put down polished marble tile flooring. We intend to do about 1/16" grout line and I would like to use a product that claims to be stain and mildew-proof that has Teflon in it with a 20-year stain warranty. Has anybody any feedback on using this type product? Any need to use a sealer? I ordered the color I wanted at HD and unfortunately can't remember the name of the product as it has not arrived yet.

Also, I've read that one should be sure that stone doesn't take on stain from colored grout before using it. How long would a "test" piece take to determine this. Yes. We are first-timers and having a great time!
missmarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Hi missmarble, welcome.

I'm betting the product you ordered was an epoxy grout from ColorFast Industries. Click here . Does that look familiar, "Easy-Clean Grout".

I personally have never used this product. I have used other brands of epoxy grout and will never do so again. I found them extremely difficult to work with. Furthermore, to use an epoxy grout on polished marble would be something I would recommend only a professional attempt, my opinion of course.

You certainly would want to test it on your marble allowing 24 hours or until full cure, whatever is longer. One other thing about Easy-Clean Grout, the manufacturer recommends the use of Color-Fast Citrus Cleaner during clean-up. You cannot use a citrus based cleaner or any acid based cleaner on polished marble. Doing so would etch the surface.

Lets see what others have to say about Easy-Clean Grout.

Last edited by Mike2; 08-16-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor
I agree. The problem with using normal epoxy grouts is that it leaves an epoxy film no matter how concientious you are about your work. It's almost impossible not to. Now, whereas on ceramic tile that doesn't matter too much, being that it's tough to see the film anyway, and if it IS noticeable it can be cleaned, with polished marble, guaranteed it'll show up like a beacon, and as Mike said, you can NOT use any kind of acidic cleaner, including any kind of citrus based cleaners on polished marble, or it'll etch the heck out of it. Your best bet, if you're truly set on using an epoxy, would be Laticrete's Spectralock Pro. Not only does it clean up alot better, but it also comes with its own non acid cleaner for afterward, just in case it's needed. I don't mean this to sound like an advertisement for Spectralock, but facts is facts, and I believe in the stuff that much.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
Oh, I have a sinking feeling!

Gee, guys, not the news I was hoping for at 6 AM, but that picture looks a lot like what I ordered! I'm rummaging to find my receipt because since the renovation of our 100-year-old home began, I now have a PHD (piled high and deep)! I guess I'll have to forget the special order when it comes in. It didn't say epoxy on the cannister (I thought), but this was great info to find out just in the nick of time. Better to waste a little money rather than a lot of money. Thanks so much!

One more question though - Do I still seal the polished marble regardless of the grout I get? Water beads up some but I am putting this in the bath and kitchen floor. We are newly retired military and no kids at home, so we "might" be safe for spills. I got Tile Lab Surface Guard Penetrating sealer. Thanks for answering. I've never been in a forum in all my years and was afraid nobody would help!
missmarble is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase