Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
rsw317

Lightbulb effervescence on all grout

My saga continues. I have done the grouting part on half my floor using Lucicrete? Slate Gray. Now that it has dried, it is basically white. I have read throughout the forum about effervescence. Did a bit of "digging" below the grout suface and can find the gray color of grout. Does it make sense that all my grout has effervenced? (is that a word?) The tile is Ocean Blue, and the whitish color isn't too bad of a look. If I was to do nothing with the grout, would it stay white, or would the effervescence eventually wear away and I would have graying spots?

PS--I used my well water, untreated, is that a problem? The tile is set on the lower level concrete slab of a bi-level in Pennsylvania.

I had another thread regarding grouting cushion-edge tile. I rung out my sponge mightily and didn't think I made the grout too wet during clean up, or in preparing it. But, since this is my first time, and I haven't witnessed the process before, no telling if I overwatered--I overwater my plants at times.

Thanks for your help.
Becky
rsw317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Becky. Since you have tile, try washing a small area with vinegar, let it sit just a minute and then scrub it. Rinse with clean water and let dry. Hope this area looks better.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
rsw317

Thanks Davy. I did as you suggested (I had a gallon stash of white vinegar in the garage so I was able to begin the process after a day of rest), and this morning, after all has dried overnight, the grout does look much, much better. It was worth the time and energy involved in doing all the grout lines.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com