Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-04-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Chris H

How difficult to remove grout and regrout floor?

My first ever tile job was my kitchen floor which i did with the help of a friend. well, i got too excited and forgot to clean th egrout joints before grouting so there's a few spots where you can see the thinset coming through the grout. it's not very noticeable, but it bothers me.

the main reason though for me wanting to regrout is that the grout effloresced. the idiot at HD told me to wet mop the floor after installation to help strengthen the grout. well there must have been dirt on the tiles as afterwards the grout looked very hazy. i've tried numerous products to help make the grout look even. (light in some spots, dark in others) i used the HD deloean grey which i've read has very hit or miss results. what's the best course of action?
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
squeakydeke
Just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Chris, congrats on completing your first job! It's amazing how much you learn by going through the whole process. I also look back at my first job and now realize how I could have done things better. Hey, you have to start somewhere.

I'm giving you a link to a discussion last week on a problem with grout coloration. You might want to try some of the things the pros discussed before ripping out all of your grout.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25716

If you can salvage your job by one of their methods and the thinset issues still bother you, Dremel makes a grout removing bit in two sizes with a little gig that holds the bit at the correct angle. The good news is that it works well. The bad news is that each bit costs $10 and it will go dull after about 6 linear feet of cutting. Keep in mind that you need to make 2 passes to get all of the grout out of a 1/4" grout line and you can do the math. Really pricy way to do it. However, the Dremel method is great for cutting out small sections of grout to regrout those areas where the thinset shows. Also keep in mind that it is possible to have the Dremel get away from you and scratch or chip a tile. I had it happen once. Keep in mind that the solution could make things worse.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Chris H

thanks for the link deke.

the thinset issue isn't a HUGE concern to me, but i would like to get the grout a little darker. what are some reputable brands of stain and what's the correct procedure to apply it? can i get it locally( HD or Lowes) or do i have to order it? will it affect the tile at all? thanks.

and yeah i did learn a lot from my first time. the 1/2 bath i did next looks a lot more professional.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
squeakydeke
Just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Chris, maybe one of the pros can give you the names of some stain products that work well. I guess I didn't catch from your first posting that this install has been in place for a while. My bad. I just assumed it was a new install.

One piece of information that might help the pros help you is whether you have sealed this grout and if so, what product did you use and how long ago?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Chris H

it's never been sealed. i was unhappy with the out come of the grout, so i put it off until i had cleaned it, but it never came out to my liking. so as it sits, it's still splotchy and now dirty.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com