Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
oakview
Retired Moderator - Owned by two rescued greyhounds

Question Grouting with cheesecloth

With my limited tile setting experience, I always assumed that grout was installed with a rubber float and finished with a grout sponge. It never even occurred to me that there might be another method - cheesecloth!??

I found this CTIOA article extolling the benefits of using cheesecloth to both install and clean the grout, especially on non-porous tile jobs. What I read makes sense, but experience is always the best teacher, so are there any takes on this method from the pros? Is it DIYer friendly?
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
oakview is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
ARANDAFLOORING
Oklahoma TileSetter

Japanese?

When i tried to see the article you posted it came up in Japanese text. I have heard of using cheesecloth on big areas to backwash but it was on commercial jobs and i was never there to witness how they did it. I know there has got to be someone on this forum who can shed light on this. Gabe
ARANDAFLOORING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
oakview

Hmmm... the link works fine for me, but just in case something is amiss here's the link in text form:

http://www.ctioa.org/reports/fr44.html

I'm really curious about this cuz' the article makes it sound like the way to go for a number of reasons and I'v got 600 sq. ft. of floor tile to set and grout real soon.
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Hmm,
Never tried it that way. Makes some sense but seems exptremely impractical (time and materials). I'll file it away in the back of my head for possible use in the future though. Thanks for the link.
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
oakview

I was trying to get the grout on my kitchen counter as flush as possible with the hard-edged porcelain tile surface, but the sponge seemed to always pull a little more out than I ideally wanted. The grout lines look OK, recessed a small amount like you usually see - still I wanted them a bit higher. The article addresses this, but cheesecloth seems like it ought to be more "abrasive" for a lack of a better word.

Since "Many of the persons who work for companies that manufacture grout also recommend the cheesecloth and no sponges.", maybe someone knows if it really works or someone has tips on how to do it right.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
madmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakview
With my limited tile setting experience, I always assumed that grout was installed with a rubber float and finished with a grout sponge. It never even occurred to me that there might be another method - cheesecloth!??

I found this CTIOA article extolling the benefits of using cheesecloth to both install and clean the grout, especially on non-porous tile jobs. What I read makes sense, but experience is always the best teacher, so are there any takes on this method from the pros? Is it DIYer friendly?
Ignore that article. The guy that wrote it is clueless. Cheesecloth is worthless for most grouting. I wouldn't even think of using it for cement grout or epoxy.

If anyone remembers masterset/rediset, a lot of that was speced for hospitals and the pregrouted sheets were required to be caulked. We used to use cheescloth with denatured alcohol to clean the caulk. Those product lines have since been discontinued.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
oakview

Thanks Max - exactly why I hang out here, exposing clueless authors and bogus techniques.

Come to think of it, if it's so good, why isn't everyone here already using cheesecloth? Judging from the vast number of responses to this thread, I must have been mislead into using a sponge!

Shame on all you snake oil salesmen (and women)

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com