Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
John K

Level or flat

Why couldn't this be done? Pertaining to wood floor systems.

Roll on membrane, such as Red Guard, staple down lath and after the Red Guard dries, pour slc.. " A thin mud bed that has a uncoupling effect.

In another scenario you have a floor that you need to get flat, not level. Why couldn't you staple down paper, lath and put some 3/4" plastic, round like pipe or boxed screeds over the lath. Now mix your mud with straight latex instead of water and cut a 1x4 the length you need and screed the floor from one plastic screed to another and leave the screeds in. Now notice in the " quick pitch shower floor system" that the screeds are plastic and are left in to tile over..

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi John, I know very little about SLC. I do know it's expensive. I'm not sure how thin you are talking here.

I've mudded many small floors with 5/8-3/4 thick dry pack, 5 to 1 mix with water. I use mud screeds, I don't like the idea of leaving the plastic pipe in the mud. The mud will likely crack along that weak line and possibly the tile.

I did a repair a couple years ago. The bath floor was up stairs and there was a crack in the tiles in a straight line about 5 ft long. I figured it was over a joint in the CBU that wasn't taped. I started chiseling them out and found the floor was mudded, the guy had used wood lattice screed sticks like we use on walls. He pulled out the sticks and filled the void with thinset as he was tiling. Although it was full of thinset, it was still the weak enough to let the tiles crack. Never know what you'll find.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase