Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Garff

First two on the job!:)

Well I can say that the past two days have been information over load. Coming out of framing houses for the past year and now working with a tile sitter is a bit of a change. I like it. The pace is not quite the same or maybe Its just I don’t have a clue as to what im doing. I found myself doing a lot of looking, asking way to many questions and cleaning. Since the sitter “shawn” is paying most of my money I feel like I should be doing more. Oh! I did get to cut my first piece of tile it was porcelain and I used his Rubi 26" and nibblers I did ok didn’t cut but one wrong and that was because some adjusted my guide for me He told me yesterday that he would pay me 7 bucks an hour but now today he said 10 bucks and hour and an hour each day for travel. So I guess I can’t compline about starting out at to low a wage. We also talked about me getting paid piece work for backer board and later one in say about six months or so getting paid piece work for tile work him being in the same house that is just maybe in another room or something. I don’t wont to get to far a head of myself but so far so good.. One thing though can anyone give me any ideas on what I can do in order to be a good tile helper?? Besides showing up every day?? And thanks a lot for your in put on my last post it was a lot of help.
Garff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'll start off saying to pay attention at all times, don't be day dreaming. Watch his every move and you'll learn what his next move is and what he will need. This way you can have it ready for him when he needs it and he doesn't have to ask. Example, if you see him get thinset on the tile face, get the sponge ready, don't wait for him to ask. Your job is to keep him setting tile, if he has to stop to get something, production stops. Keep him with everything he needs until he's ready for a break, then get his lunch box for him.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Keep a bucket of clean water and a sponge handy at all times.

Never let the thinset bucket get empty

and..

Never let the tile run out.

In addition to the practices of setting tile, building showers,etc really pay attention to the way a room or area is layed out. This can make you or break you when you are on your own

As Davy said, keep him setting tile. Your job will be cutting tile, CBU, mixing mud, etc.

Also, a clean work area is a productive one.

Jason
Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Butler

Never let the tile run out.

Jason
As a kid starting out in this trade, this was a lesson that was instilled at a young age. As my Uncle used to say (numerous times in the begining) "I can't lay it, if I ain't got it!"
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Revstriker

Wow, this post brings back some memories! I worked as a "Helper" for about 4 years in Germany. All of what has been said here was true for me. Keep the supply of tile / thinset / mud coming, and always having a clean bucket of water were two of the most appreciated things. The best thing you can do for yourself is to watch and ask questions (as long as you are not interrupting the pace of work ). I started out by doing demo, then moved on to cutting tile, mixing thinset/grout, and mixing mud. After awhile, I was trusted with the grouting, setting floor tile, and then finally setting wall tile. The thing I remember most about learning is that it was ALWAYS harder than it looked (my boss made everything look easy as I'm sure a lot of the experts here do).

That was almost 20 years ago, and I still miss that "sense of accomplishment" when the job is completed.

Best of luck to you!
Revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Garff... its Dan right? if i remember. Good to hear youre going to give it
a shot. Everything these guys have said i will agree with, id like to add
when i was a helper i had a setter i worked for he was a lifer in his 60's,
when i was maybe 23-24 years old. He told me The hardest thing to train
a helper to do is to see what he is looking at.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase