Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Jenn

Moving a piano across the new tile floor

Now that the new tile floor is finally done, it's time to schedule the installation of flooring in the other rooms. We will have wood installed in the living room and dining room. All the furniture in those rooms will be moved into the family room for the period of installation. The family room is where the new tile floor was just installed. The tile is porcelain 13x13 tiles by Monocibec.

Anyhoo.... one of the items we'll need to temporarily move in there is an upright piano. It's a console-size (not grand, not huge) on wheels.

What precautions do we need to take as we wheel it across our new tile floor? Should we put it on a dolly with wheels?

Or do we need to take any precautions since the tile is porcelain and the piano is on wheels?

We're treating our new tile floor like a newborn baby. If we damage it after what we went through to get it done, I'll need to commit myself to an institution...........

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I like to put some plywood down for heavy objects.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Rd Tile
Tile Man

And wait at least 72hrs. after grouting before doing it.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Jenn

Thanks you.

DaveStone -- Do you mean large sheets of plywood over the full expanse of the journey across the floor?

Tile Man -- It was grouted in early May. We just sealed it yesterday. The floor is officially done!
Old 06-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You could just use one and keep moving in front of you. I mean cut it in half, longways.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
jdm

Wouldn't she need at least two sheets?

Upright pianos are not as heavy as one thinks. I discovered this helping a friend move. What's bad about pianos is that they concentrate their weight on those little brass casters. We were worried about getting the piano up the three outside steps and it was no problem at all. Four average guys should be able to easily carry it over the floor and set it down on the plywood.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
JNPremodeling

Send a message via MSN to JNPremodeling Send a message via Yahoo to JNPremodeling
Quote:
Wouldn't she need at least two sheets?
That's why to cut it in half, long ways
JNPremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Jenn

Four average guys? It's going to be hard rounding up four guys. It's not a very heavy piano (I moved it from one side of the room, on carpet) so we'll just be careful. So far, none of you have said it's no big deal to roll it on the tile so we'll see about getting a sheet of plywood.

Any other suggestions if plywood doesn't work? Is the big concern getting the wheels hung up in the grout lines? We moved the refrigerator (big side-by-side) on two rolling dollies with no problem.....
Old 06-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
Mike2

Quote:
We're treating our new tile floor like a newborn baby. If we damage it after what we went through to get it done, I'll need to commit myself to an institution...........
I believe the advice about protecting the floor with plywood is good way to pamper that newborn baby Jen. None of us want you to take any chances given what you've been through.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Dog paws
Tileman

Quote:
What's bad about pianos is that they concentrate their weight on those little brass casters.
Your running two risks. Point load finding an air pocket resulting in a cracked tile and chipping the glaze while rolling over grout lines.
I guess your dollies have rubber wheels. I can see moving a fridge with dollies but can't visualize how you could move a piano with them.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I have an upright piani, and it is HEAVY.I also got a bunch of teenagers from my sons high school football team to help move it.It , like Mike pointed out, puts a lot of weight in a small area, and i can almost guarantee some tile, and grout damage.Just get some thin cheap ply or it's equivelant.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
JNPremodeling

Send a message via MSN to JNPremodeling Send a message via Yahoo to JNPremodeling
I'd like to chime in here one more time. I second the motion to pick it UP, OFF the floor, carry it to it's destination, and GENTLY drop ...no wait...PLACE it on the floor, gently. Did I mention to put it down gently
Old 06-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
jdm

Totally missed the suggestion to cut the sheet. Shoot!

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
JNPremodeling

It happens J , I wasn't making fun OF you, just with you.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ya'll must have cheap pianos,geez i could not lift one end of mine to save my life.and i'm probably the strongest human in Fl. But really, mine is extremely heavy.....and hard to play!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase