Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 AM   #1
Haroun

Grout joint size

I've got a job with 13 5/16" tiles ona bathroom floor, designer wants the tiles as close as possible. Can I give it a 1/16" spacing or do the larger tiles need the larger grout joint because of expansion. I was figuring that given grout isn't really very flexible that spacing isn't critical, but I want to check with folks who have more experience. Area being tiled is about 57"x130".
Haroun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
bbcamp

Grout line width is controlled by 3 things: 1) The "Look" and, more importantly, 2) how accurately calibered the tiles are, and 3) how flat the floor is. If the tiles are extremely well calibered, meaning that they are exactly the same size, then you can use a narrower joint. If the floor is not very flat, then you need a wider joint to help compensate. Expansion is not the issue at all.

3/16" joints are common for that size tile.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
wcwirla

Similar Question

I have a similar question on the topic of grout joint sizing. I am installing 4 1/2" tiles on a kitchen backsplash. Before I set tile to mortar, I'm trying various spacing. The manufacturer suggests a 3/16" grout line for wall applications. An acquaintance who own a tiling business suggested I simply butt the tiles together (they don't have spacing nibs) and minimize the grout line. Is this a good idea?

Bill
wcwirla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
saxtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcamp
Grout line width is controlled by 3 things: 1) The "Look" and, more importantly, 2) how accurately calibered the tiles are, and 3) how flat the floor is. If the tiles are extremely well calibered, meaning that they are exactly the same size, then you can use a narrower joint. If the floor is not very flat, then you need a wider joint to help compensate. Expansion is not the issue at all.
3/16" joints are common for that size tile.

I have tiled most of my bathroom now (half way up the walls) with NO grout line. Was this a mistake ?? I am a little worried. I did this because I did not want the maintenance of dirty grout lines in the shower. I did not know about an expansion factor.

Are my new tiles going to crack as some have mentioned ? My house is a single story house on a cement slab (if that matters any).

Please help put my worries to rest.
Gary
saxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
jdm

No grout space is always a mistake because there will always be some space, that will tend to fill with all kinds of things that are way nastier than grout. You are way better off leaving 1/16" space and filling with the grout that is closest in color to your tiles. The look will be very similar, but the grouted version will be much cleaner.

As for cracking, the grout joints are not expansion joints. In larger tiled areas, you need an expansion joint that is filled with caulk instead of grout every 12' to 25' in each direction, depending on sunlight exposure. In every installation, you should leave a 1/4" expansion joint where the tile floor abuts walls or other floors. If the expansion joint will be covered with molding, you can leave it empty; otherwise fill it with caulk color-matched to the grout.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Sting

Max width

This is my first post, although I've been using this site for about a month now. This thread is talking about the minimal grout width, but I need to ask about the maximum.

I'm laying out some huge tiles (13" x 26") in a herringbone pattern. The edges are wavy, so the grout line varies from 1/4 in to as much as 1/2 in. I'm planning on using a Mapei sanded grout. I've already set 34 of these monsters and they look gorgeous, but I'm a bit concerned about the grout line width. Can anyone calm me down? Should I try to make the line thinner as I go along? I think I could and still make it look good if need be.

Nate
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Razzberries

Wavy edged tiles must be given some room,because the edges go in and out.If they are TOO close they will hit if not placed very accurately.Making the joint 1/4 at the closest point should be right for your application.Grout joints that are 1/2 at the widest will be ok too.Make sure you use a sanded grout and let the grout set up slightly before initial wipe off,so you wont wipe out too much if the joints are wider than 1/2.I dont know HOW wavy the edges are on your tiles,but I have seen some that are very wavy and 1/2 isnt uncommon.
Razzberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Leo427

Mapei Keracolor sanded grout is rated from 1/8" to 3/4".
Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout is rated from 1/8" to 1".

You can check out their website...

http://mapei.com/MapeiAmericas/en/products_line1.htm

The Ultracolor was recommended to me on this forum. It specifically addresses common concerns with portland cement grout such as color consistency and efflorescence. I used it and am pleased so far!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com