Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
lacosh

Pool tile in the Northeast

First I'd like to say that this message board is a great source of DIY information! I have a question about installing pool tile in the northeast. Do the freeze/thaw conditions here prevent completely tiling pools? Often I see pools with tile only at the waterline. During winterization, most pool companies lower the water level below the tile. Tile seems like the most durable pool surface though, so I was wondering if it's possible to tile the whole thing like they do in warmer climates...

I need to calculate the surface area of my pool still (it's a very odd shape), but I think it may be economical to tile since I could do the work myself versus getting it plastered by professionals. Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
lacosh

Anyone?

Does anyone have experience with using pool tile in freezing temperatures? Is glass tile the way to go?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Glass tile, on a pool, in freeze/thaw climate?.......I'd be gettin nervous. Glass is tough enough to bond from the get-go, without these added factors.

This type of tiling needs instructions & materials more intense than most of the projects we generally talk about. This may be keeping others from chiming in and giving advice. Have you used the "Search" feature on the upper right side of the tool-bar?

Here is a link to a quickie search to get you going. I used the words: "Pool" & "Tiling"

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
jerrymlr1

Hi Lauren
I tiled a pool in Minnesota with Bisazza about 7 years ago. So far so good. The owner calls me twice a year to see if I can add some to the face of the negative edge so I know everything is still in good shape. The most important thing in my opinion is to prevent any places where water might penetrate during the warm season and freeze and expand later in the cold season. When we install glass mosaics throughout the pool we use an additive in the browncoat that prevents moisture vapor transmission and it is also bonded with a portland slurry which also has a waterproofing agent. The tile is then installed with the backbutter method with waterproofing. After the tile is installed we take all the time necessary and search for and fill any pinholes in the grout. The backbutter method is by far the best way to install glass mosaics that have the beveled backs because it cannot be effectively face grouted. BTW, this kind of installation is not exactly for the DIYer. Even with years and years of experience glass mosaics are difficult to install at best. Every pool that I have worked on has had some seriously frustrating times. I have also seen many completely botched jobs that eventually cost someone tens of thousands of dollars that was done by an installer who never touched glass mosaics and didn't have the insight to research a little and see what he was up against. The tile alone runs anywhere from $8-30 a ft and installation runs form about $20-50 a ft and upwards. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Saw a new Glass Cobalt Blue tile at a showroom today, $169 a sq. ft., hate to miss cut one of those.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
lacosh

Huge job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymlr1
BTW, this kind of installation is not exactly for the DIYer. Even with years and years of experience glass mosaics are difficult to install at best. Every pool that I have worked on has had some seriously frustrating times. I have also seen many completely botched jobs that eventually cost someone tens of thousands of dollars that was done by an installer who never touched glass mosaics and didn't have the insight to research a little and see what he was up against. The tile alone runs anywhere from $8-30 a ft and installation runs form about $20-50 a ft and upwards. Good luck.
After some quick math, this job is looking even more unrealistic since my pool is quite large. I just estimated around 1500 square feet surface area, if I did my math correctly...

However... I've been told that plastered pools need tile at the waterline due to staining and other problems with the plaster. With this setup I could lower my water level below the tile before closing in the fall. Perhaps that's something I could tackle. Currently the pool is just paint over gunite. I'm guessing the paint should all be removed before tiling. Is pressure washing sufficient or does it need to be sand blasted?

I've read some confusing information regarding waterproofing behind pool tile. Most of the posts I've read here say it's unnecessary?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com