Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Stuart P.

How to tie-in backsplash under kitchen cabinet

I'm planning my backsplash for my kitchen with 4" tumbled marble on diagonals that I will be framing with rectangular pieces cut from the 4" tile. I'm having trouble figuring out how to finish it with the end of the cabinet. The granite countertop is a couple of inches further out than the cabinet so the frame will be a few inches left of the cabinet. Do you just bring the tiles out to the border and then bring the border into the side of the cabinet over the tiles? I hope this makes sense. All the picture I can find of backsplashes never show the cabinet detail.

If anyone has any pictures they can post on way to do this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Mike2

Stuart, I don't understand this part.
Quote:
Do you just bring the tiles out to the border and then bring the border into the side of the cabinet over the tiles?
And which cabinet are you referring to? The base cabinet or a wall cabinet overhead?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Mike,
I think he means the uppers? For those, I'll generally carry my pattern out to the "rollover edge" of the countertop and carry it up past the bottom of the cabinets to a full tile's height. If a diagonal pattern, I'll try to adjust the horizontal layout to avoid teeny-weeny cuts and the verticle pattern terminates with a full diagonal.
Sometimes this isn't possible and so I plan for my smaller cuts to be laid on the bottom course so that I have full tile along the top edge outside of the cabinet area. Under the cabinets, I just run the cuts into a caulk joint.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #4
basgopsu

I just posted a similar thread titled "slate backsplash questions" and received some helpful advice and some pictures. It was just the other day so it still shows up in the recent postings. Hope you can find it...
Old 04-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Stuart P.

Sorry, I was trying to be clear and I think I just made it more confusing. Yes, I am refering the overhead cabinets. If I'm looking at the left end of the counter, it comes out about 2 inches further to the left than the overhead cabinet. If I tile my border staight up from the edge of the countertop, I will be about 2 inches left of the edge of the cabinet. So, I was wondering if I just continue up past the cabinet and do a 90 degree turn into the edge of the cabinet. In otherwords, the bottom of the horizontal border piece would be in line with the bottom of the cabinet. I'm just having a hard time visualizing how to make it look good.

I'll check out your post basgopsu, Thanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Stuart P.

I checked out your thread and saw the pictures. That does add some ideas. However someone mentioned that they just come straight down from the cabinet. I never even considered that. Is that something that is done alot? It would seem like it would look strange not going to the end of the counter.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
rspainhower

I have attached a sample of ending the backsplash at the cabinet.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Mike2

What do you think of Randy's backsplash Stuart? Looks fine to me. Shaughnn's way provides a different look and I think that would be fine as well.

When it's all said and done, boils down to "dealer's choice".
Old 04-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Stuart P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
What do you think of Randy's backsplash Stuart? Looks fine to me. Shaughnn's way provides a different look and I think that would be fine as well.

When it's all said and done, boils down to "dealer's choice".
That looks good. I'm not sure how it would look on mine though as my countertop ends instead of coming out into the room. I'm sure it would look fine though. I'm thinking of going with what Shaughn suggested but I'd like to see some pictures if anyone has one or two to see how different people did this to get some more ideas.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Mike2

Stuart, take a look at some of the kitchen projects in our photo album. You might find some examples there.

Here are projects completed by non-professionals members of the Forum. Click here

And here are projects completed by the some of the pros around here. Go here
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
Stuart P.

Thanks Mike. I did find one that was different. Unfortunately, the backsplash pictures either don't include the end cabinets in the picture or the picture was taken at an angle that does not show the outside edge of the cabinet. But I did get some good ideas for how to do my backsplash. Thanks.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com