Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Cool Thanks, Dave Gobis

Had the pleasure of meeting Dave earlier today at a mini seminar. Was great listening to someone who has so much to offer. He talked about deflection, Robertson testing, how tileguys can officially blame the engine-eers on failed floors, how ANSI is the country next to OSHA...lots of stuff in a short amount of time. Really seams to enjoy helping others. He is on the list of people I'd be happy to buy a "cold one" for at coverings.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Thanks Kurt, did that 3 times yesterday, got home at 9 last night. I wasn't trying to blame engineers, I was just saying that ideally, a floor needs to be engineered for the added weight. Barring that, at a minimum It needs to be properly constructed as you are borrowing live load for your dead load. Most houses can take it, some can't. This is a conversation relative only to deflection, there is obviously a host of other considerations as well. Now I have to go do some yard work and keep my wife happy before I head back to SC.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg

Yeah......I was just poking some fun at our engineer buddies We know we love 'em and can't live without 'em! But I gotta poke at someone ..........who's it gonna be? The architects? Job sups that have been in the biz for a full 6 months? If I did that, peoples be tellin me I was taking too easy of a shot. Then peoples would be poking at me! Can't have that.

On a more serious side....You ain't kiddin that there is a host of other considerations to bring into the mix. A never ending quest of learning/teaching/sharing. If I were you, I wouldn't know where to begin.....there is so much....and so little time. Thats why I like to talk fast.....to get a lot in

Thanks again for sharing, see you at Coverings.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Kurt, if you're brown nosing for number one postition on the couch, forget it. It's mine, and I'll fight over it.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Fine John Ill bring my own damn couch okay. Mine has a beer cooler attached to the side of it. And a radio. wanna trade.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Opie, you'd better get permission from Coverings to dispense beer in thier show. You ARE planning to share, aren't you?

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Beer!!! Did somebody say Beer??? I may need the couch for a Nap.hey John, Shove over
Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Why of course you just have to type like me then u get one. Oh yeah cant wait to meet dave from what i understand hes da man.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg

Hey, I'm a remodeler......I can simply build-on a new wing to the couch and have a throne area for me & Opie. Maybe Opie will help me build in an area for a mini-fridge so we'd have more room for beer. An ta unlock it, you'll have to wave your little round sticker over the fridge's sensor eye and a beer will pop out!

Now that's what I'm talkin about
Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
opiethetileman

Well everyone knows opie is usally packin heat. So they wont bother our beer. I know I can bring lead in the show but it far to get her if we need it. Hell yeah lets build us thrones but Dave get the big throne.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg

The more I think, maybe building UP is a good idea. How would a second story on a couch look? Maybe we'll get enjun-eer Bob to draw us up some specs.....you know just ta keep it save....and up to code.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase