Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
micha

Hardibacker tape & float?

I have put up the hardibacker on the tub surround. I intend to tile over it. Do I need to tape & float prior to laying mastic? Should I also caulk the joints (between the hardibacker pieces)? IF I do need to tape, do I use regular setting compound? Thanks!
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Micha, welcome.

Use CBU tape and thinset on the joints and corners. Don't use mastic or joint compound, take it back and get thinset. I use alot of Versabond from Customs.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Micha, Welcome.

Go to the james hardie site for complete instructions on installing Hardi-backer.

http://jameshardie.com

As Davy mentions, it's important to know the difference between mastic and thin set. We don's use mastic for much of anything.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
micha

Thanks

I will take the setting compound (recommended by the guy at Lowe's) back. Two more questions, I inadvertently put the hardibacker flush with the top of the tub. Hardi says to leave a 1/4 gap. Do I need to pull out the sheets and trim them?
Second, I built a two feet deep shelf / seat at the back of the tub, six inches up from the top of the tub. Since it will get minimal water and I sloped it slightly to drain into the tub, do I need to cover it with water resistant membrane such as kerdi? It is Hardibacker over plywood.
Thanks in advance for the help.
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Mike2

Hi Mica.

You really need an expansion gap between the tub and backerboard. That tub will expand and contract and a caulked gap will isolate that movement from the tile. Tile + movement = cracks.

Yes, you should coat that seat with a liquid waterproof membrane. Go to Home Depot and look for a gallon of Redgard in the tiling section, most likely next to the thinset or sealers.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
ukitus

Following on from the mastic/thinset question. I've already made the mistake with the hardibacker around our tub. I used the general purpose joint compount.

Will it be sufficient to sand down to the tape and then apply the thinset, or have I got a major job of removing the hardi, and relaying using thinset at the joints.
Thanks
Dave
ukitus is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com