Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
mrbill5

crazed glaze tiles

I am about to install some Marfil Madeira 6" ceramic tile which has a shiny
glaze. The glaze is intentionally crazed, tiny cracking evident in it. There was a sheet of paper warning that because the glaze is cracked it is porous and thus should be sealed prior to grouting.
I take it that I should carefully seal the installed tile, then grout , then after awhile seal everything again?

Mr Bill
mrbill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Mr. Bill,
That is correct. You can use an inexpensive sealer to pre-seal the crazed tile prior to grouting. Without pre-sealing, the pigment from your grout (even white grout) will penetrate the glaze and leave a residue behind. If you soak a mat of paper towels with the sealer and wipe it over the tile you should get a thin and even coat. Just remember to polish the tile clean while it's still wet with the sealer to avoid streaks. Normally, I apply sealers with a pump-spray bottle but in this case that would also get it down into the joints and you want to avoid that as much as possible as it would interfere with the grouts bonding. So, just wipe on, wait, wipe off before it dries. Do small sections at a time to maintain better control of the drying time.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
mrbill5

Would I be better off sealing the tile, especially the whole tiles, and then set them? This is going to be a kitchen backsplash and I will be pre-cutting as many as possible before setting them except for the outlets cuts.

Mr Bill
Old 04-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

I wouldn't seal them before setting. During setting, you will need to wipe them clean quite often and you run the risk of washing away some of the light pre-seal coat. Just make sure that the water in your saw stays clean and use clean water for wiping the tiles down.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Mike2

Bill, in addition to what Shaughnn said, build yourself a test board out of scrap tile pieces and practice grouting it before the "real" thing.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:09 AM   #6
mrbill5

Many thanks for everyone's input.

We are getting measured for granite countertops this wednesday and I am going to start cutting the obvious backsplash pieces this weekend.

Got rid of the boring formica backsplash 2 days ago( cut myself only 2 times until I put leather gloves on, DUH).

Mr Bill

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com