Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-31-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
TJ

Preparing for RedGard

Just to be extra safe, I'm going to coat my bathroom floors with redguard before tiling. Is the following the correct process?

I'm planning on taping the seams of the CBU with the special CBU tape and thinset, and also covering the screws with thinset.

Is there anything else I should do? What brand of thinset would you recommend. Modified or unmodified? Thanks, TJ

Last edited by TJ; 03-31-2005 at 10:47 AM. Reason: another question
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
jdm

TJ --

You can run but you can't hide.

When you apply the thinset to the joints, try to keep the material just thick enough to cover the tape. You don't want to create "speed bumps" that you have to tile over. You might want to take a rubbing stone to any bumps or ridges in the dry thinset before you apply the RedGard. The flatter the floor, the easier the tile setting and the better the results will be.

If the screws high (more than a hair) you might want to try to drive them flush. They shouldn't need thinset. If the screws are low, they probably don't have much holding power and new screws should be driven nearby. You might want to fill over the heads of the low screws with thinset.

Custom recommends modified thinset over RedGard. They specifically mention FlexBond, but I think the pros here will agree that the less expensive VersaBond will be fine. Here's a link to all you ever wanted to know about RedGard .

And I'm waiting to see your rendition of a deer stag with a 12-point rack in slate.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
TJ

The screws are just a hair low. I thought I read in another post that they needed thinset before redguard. But if we can skip it, it's great!

No animals in our bathrooms. I did spend a small fortune on listellos though.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Marge
Moderator and Official Herder of Forum Human Cats

TJ has a thread! TJ has a thread! And the Invaders are starting to arrive.....

Jeff overlooked a very important point about thinset in the joints (he must have been stunned by your No Animals In This Project policy). You KNOW you need to make sure the cbu tape is both alkalai and Bovine resistant?

When do we get pictures?

Marge

Last edited by maminaz; 04-01-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
TJ

Well, there's not too much progress to show yet. We've done the dry-layout in 2 of the baths, and finally got the 2 shower bases installed. You asked for it!
Attached Images

Last edited by TJ; 03-31-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
jdm

Marge --

TJ knows what kind of tape to use, it's right there in one of the pictures.

Now go pine over some pine pines.

TJ --

Everything looks good. I didn't realize that you're doing an entire house! I was trying to figure out whether it is older or new constuction, but the only clue is the mouldings. You either have good taste, as they're much nicer than those I've seen in most new houses, or an old house that's in very good condition.

Just be double sure that the tape is cervine resistant, too.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Marge

TJ,

Details!

What tile are you using for each room? Hard to tell in the one pic but are you tiling front of tub (looks like cbu in the pic). What kind of listillos and design work planned? How big is that shower?

I think we should vote on a new name for TJ's thread.....

Marge

P.S. And thank you for the pictures!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
TJ

What the heck is cervine? Is that related to cerveza and Marge's beer taps?

We are building an upscale, large new house, with an eye to living in it for tax purposes and then selling. We have chosen and designed everything. There are 2 guys who work on it full time. (Used to be 3, but that's another story.) They are trim experts! This is their first time tiling, but since my hubby and I have done it before and we have John's book we are going for it.

The tubs will have a tiled front. Each bathroom has a different listello and different layout for the listellos. I do have photoshop renditions, but the real thing should be available soon.

The master shower is 72 x 84. We had a base custom made since this project is too much of an investment to try our first mud base.

I hesitate to reveal just how many baths there are, but Marge is gonna figure it out if I show her all the listellos, lol.

Today was tape day. I'll redguard on Saturday and Sunday. Monday starts the floor setting! BTW, how long does redguard take to dry if I want to do it in one day?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Marge

Hey, I already know how many bathrooms and I'm not telling! But I am thinking about the linear feet of listillos.....

I am so excited that you got the tile part going and we all get to tag along. Keep that camera charged and ready!

Oh, and our Redguard was just a few hours before it changed color. I know the specs say it can take up to 12 hours.

Marge

P.S. Jeff can explain cervine (which I didn't even know was the appropriate reference for.....).
Old 04-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
TJ

I'd have to look, but I think the total cost of the listellos was more than the total cost of the field tiles. I am trying to upload some... they may be miniature, lol.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #11
TJ

I found some of the photoshop mock-ups.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Marge

I had no idea all these bathrooms were in a doll house.

Those are going to be gorgeous!

Marge
Old 04-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #13
TJ

First coat of redguard in 6 of 8 areas!!! It looks like a serial killer was around, lol.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
Marge

Two comments...

First, Dave was here and has an alibi.

Second, honestly, is there any Redguard on the microwave?

Marge

P.S. And where are the pictures??
Old 04-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
TJ

Pictures after the second coat tomorrow! No redguard on the microwave, but "bloody" rags and random spots on my hands, lol.

Dave was a good boy today, ordering you a shower door, so I know that he isn't the killer.

Can you explain why redguard might be on the microwave?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com