Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
diego79

Average price for installation of tile by region?

He yall,

I was doing a little bit research and was trying to find out what the average price of tile installation is per square ft by region. Have any of you seen any reports of consensus studies of any kind I can find online going over the averages. I knwo where I live in florida it's cheap cheap like 1-2-3 $ a sq ft but up North it goes up. Just trying to get some data on that.

any help is appreciated
diego79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Prices vary by job, not only area.

Yes, some areas cost more, there is no real average, depends on type of tile or stone used and layout, there are installers here that charge more than I do and some that are alot cheaper.

If you want an average cost for ceramic, nothing special as far as the install, call any HD in your area, they have a printout of what they charge for tile work, each area has there own price, I charge a few dollars more than they do, but there's a reason for this.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
stefan

yeh richie
you charge more, but the costumer get's the better deal

http://globalceramicdesign.com
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
diego79

tile by region

Yeah, for sure it varies by who is doing the work, layout, prep work, etc. I have a friend that lives in Minnesota that does tile work and I was wanting to explain to him the diference in tile labor prices. I was trying to make a point of you cannot expect to make the exact smae money installing tile as you do in Florida where I live. That's why I was looking for something in writing to show him. I think that was a good idea to call home depots in different areas to get their installed price.

any other ideas?
thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
diego79

Holy SHa-molly!

Guess what I just did! I called a home depot here in my local area in Tampa Fl. The price I got for installation was 2.49 per sq ft labor only, thinset provided.

I just went and called a store in Minneapolis MN and gues what price I got

*******6.75************** per sq ft. and guess what? no freakin thinset either!!!

Holy crapper man. I need to move up to MN or somehting. I even called 3 home depots up there to make sure I was't crazy!!!

I guess I got my answer.

can you guys believe the variations!@#!@
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
dmmoss

Welcome to the wonderful world of hard tile.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

So how does HD compare with averages in most areas? Do they seem to be on the low end, hight end, or about average? I recently moved and am trying to establish prices in my new market. I've been using price quotes that I used to use and most people seem rather thrilled at the prices I give them but I don't want to go too high as this is a new market for me and don't really want to loose any of these bids.
JTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
michaelhazuka
Union Tile Setter--Green Bay, WI

Why do you guys want to compare yourself to Home Depot??? The going price by region should be whatever you can get and still be competitive...that means whatever you can get and still work 40 hours a week. I've never made a habit of matching others prices....most of the time the customers that you get from doing this aren't the best customers in the world anyway.

I'd like to see a Home Depot bucket-scraper walk into a 8000 sq ft custom home and actually figure out where to start the job nevertheless finish it. That's why I don't use Home Depot as a gauge for my price list. They simply can't do that caliber of work.

-Mike
michaelhazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
diego79

Clarification

Very true. Don't guage yourself of of Home Depot prices. They are just a mediocre way of getting a ball park. If you do high quality, high end stuff, you are not even doing the same type of job. Good point.

I was only looking for a comparision by region. And I got that, the constant factor was HD and I was comparing the install prices against themselves, so that gives some sort of idea by region. If you live in Minneapolis MN it doesn't mean you should charge 6.75 a sq ft. it just means that's what they charge and you could get more or could get less.

As a side note I found some stuff on the U.S. Department of Labor
Bureau of Labor Statistics website

http://www.bls.gov/oes/2000/oes_mn.htm - Minnesota avg wage index
---$43,920

http://www.bls.gov/oes/2000/oes_fl.htm - Florida avg wage index
---$29,840
search for Tile and Marble setters under construction

Note: I know alot of guys on the board are more the exception than the rule and many are capable of the high stuff so I don't mean you can't make money in Florida I just think you'll be working a bit harder for it.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
michaelhazuka
Union Tile Setter--Green Bay, WI

Quote:
you can't make money in Florida I just think you'll be working a bit harder for it.

You also have to take into consideration what the standard of living is in that area...the wage index will tell you what the average tile setter is making, but it's not cheap to live in Minneapolis/St. Paul area. It's also not cheap to live in Miami... On average though, if you get outside of the cities and away from the coasts, I believe that it is more expensive to live in Minnesota vs. Florida.

There is by far less poverty and unemployment too(In MN).

-Mike
michaelhazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #11
stullis
Flooring Installer

Any state income tax down there in FL?

Most aren't charging anywhere near what HD is charging.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #12
www.stoneadvice.com

...please dont come to Oregon and set up shop
but here we get:

Note on big custom jobs these numbers tick up a bit.
$12.50 per sf labor on natural stone installation
$6.00 per sf labor on ceramic tile
$3.00 per sf for backerboard
$8-12 to polish edgework
$5 per deco dot or lf of liner
we charge a $1 extra to 1/4 turn the install
for full backsplash toss the above out the window we go $20-$30 per lf

There are under-the-table hacks that will work for MUCH less and I know a few folks that charge more...this is a good average for a professional in this area. (Oregon) Heya trask!

Mark Lauzon
www.stoneadvice.com
slab fabricator heaven
www.stoneadvice.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #13
John K

Mark,

What backerboard do you use that you charge 3.00 s.f??
Old 03-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Twin cities area is not indicative of the rest of the region. Minneapolis area is getting 50% more than surrounding area's due to lack of qualified tradespeople.Tile setters can work 70-80 hours per week and still never get caught up.People are waiting 3-4 months to get remodels done by qualifed people.Handymen are taking up the slack and we all know what happens when a handyman gets into the shower building business as a general rule.Some are capable most are out of thier league.
We dont compete with HD.I am higher than our local HD as is every tile contractor that is established in the twin cities.7.50 s/f including thinset is closer to the norm for tile in minneapolis.4.00 by the hacks.Upp north we gat around 4-5.00 on remodel work 2.50-4.00 on new construction and commercial depending on size of job,scope of job etc.

On another Note.

I found out the motel i am in has internet access so I have a few moments only to check in. Any questions during the next few weeks will likely get my attention through PM only as my time will be limited.
Todd
Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
www.stoneadvice.com

We charge the same for wonder, durock, and hardi. It is $3 per sf installed with thinset underneath. Then we charge to install whatever is going on top.
Hope this helps

Mark Lauzon
www.stoneadvice.com
slab fabricator heaven

I stopped being surprised long ago how inexpensive some installeres are. We have a local guy installing 12x12 travertine for 10 per sf. (complete)
I our humble opinion the guy is an A$$, he is leaving $7 on the table for every sf he installs. (I am sure he is under the table)
Can you imagine suppling the stone and installing for that price? BAH!
www.stoneadvice.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com