Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
sdm

Tile Cutter Problem

Hi, I'm just joined the forum today. I have two problems: My husband borrowed a wet saw from his brother so we can cut ceramic tiles to install on our kitchen floor. However, when he cuts the tile, it is not cutting correctly. It seems like the cutter has a mind of it's own. The guide moves so we stopped using it. We tried to do it freehand, but then it isn't cutting it straight. It seems to shift to the right and the cuts are off. Are we doing something wrong, or is the machine or blade old?

Next, we have linoleum in our kitchen and underneath is plywood. Can we install ceramic tile over the linoleum?
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Not sure what's up with the saw, but the lino. has to come up as well as any 1/4" underlayment that might also be there.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
sdm

Tile Cutter Problem

Me neither. We are making diagonal cuts and it starts out fine, then all of a sudden you can see the cutter is not staying on it's path. It starts to shift, making our cuts look off. Then we have to shave the parts that didn't cut correctly. What a nusiance!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard. Give us a first name, please.

It could be that the blade is dull and needs to be sharpened/dressed, or the blade could also be shot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
rich7

Hi sdm..gotta first name??...other then s, that is....ok..I'll take a flyer here...if and that's a BIG IF..your tray is tracking correctly, (you check that with a square), it sounds like you may have an unevenly worn blade...they will do exactly what you describe when one side has good diamonds and the other side is worn..this happens when a person uses one side as a grinder to true up a cut..get yourself a soft concrete paver (patio brick) or any concrete block and make about 20 or so cuts in the block (or brick)...this will wear off the dull diamonds, and hopefully expose new ones..just cut the block the same as you are cutting the tile...I am assuming you still have a rim left..(that's the brassy colored outer ring)..try this and get back to us...the tray alignment will be dependant on the make of saw, so we'll need to know that if this fails..

jeeez..quickdraw JB beat me to the punch...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
jdm

Rich --

JB may have beaten you, but you gave the details on how to actually effect the fix.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
rich7

Hopefully that is the fix for them Jeff..if it's an old MK we could get big time technical real fast..
Old 03-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

You can always do it the hard way. mark your tile, draw your cut lines, and cut on these lines. You will be feeding the tile in like a sewing machine. But it aint fun, so get the saw serviced asap.

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
sdm

Smile Tile Cutter Problem

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to try and work on the blade and see if that fixes the problem.

To Arn's response, this is how we are doing our cuts -- the hard way. Drawing lines and cutting on those lines. This is how we are finding out the cuts are going off.

By the way, my name is Stephani.

Thanks agan!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
George K

Do you have the blade set too deep, so that as you cut, quite a bit of the blade extends below the tile ?
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Is anybody going to ask what kind of saw this is??
Name brand, model number,type of saw.
Does it have a rolling cart (Felker,Target,MK etc)or do you slide your tile through freehand(Plasplugs? )
What size balde 4" 6" 7" 8" 10" ??
What are you using for a fence??

How much diamond lip appears to be on the blade(look at the side of the blade)?? 1/16" 1/8" 1/4" ???
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
sdm

Smile Tile Cutter Problem/Linoleum Question

Tileguytodd, those are good questions. When I get home tonight, we will make sure we check it out.

To answer George's question, no the blade is not too deep.

As far as removing the linoleum before I lay my ceramic tiles, how do I remove it. It's glued to plywood that's underneath.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #13
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Stephanie, cut it into strips 6-8" wide and use a razor stripper(available at HD or ace hardware
Start by peeling the wear layer off.The felt that is stuck can be soaked with hot water to aid in removal.
Wear gloves to avoid blisters.This is hard work and we get paid very well to perform removal.In some cases more than what the installation cost 15 years ago!!
You will quickly find out what i mean

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com