Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Neverdone

Cultured stone veneer Exterior wall

Hello my name is Matt and live in the Nashville area. I have been lurking here for a few years now and have been able to get most of my questions answered by reading posts and also thru John's book. I have completed a complete master bath remodel with mud shower and several other tile projects that would have not turned out as nice without the advise I have gleaned from here. I want to thank you all for that. I am now working on a project to replace the walls that are inset on my front porch. My house is on a slab. I am going to install a cultured stone veneer over the walls.The area works out to about 240 sq. ft. It is ledge style that I bought here locally from Centurion. The question is after going over John's book again he said that the expanded metal doesn't have to be nailed to the studs just every 6 ". I was also wondering if I should place a 1/4" piece of plywood under the walls and in the corners then remove it when they set then caulk to form a expansion joint. Also I was wanting to know about around windows and doors how much of an expansion joint that is needed there.

Thanks again
with a wife and a house I am neverdone
Neverdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

http://www.culturedstone.com/
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Neverdone

Yep been there

Thanks for the help but I have been there and it answerers the nailing schedule. But I am having a hard time finding anything about expansion joints. At least none that I could find. The thing is I belive the maunfactures are looking at it as a flat exterior wall ending at the bottom plate with nothing under it. I have a cement slab that extends under the porch. I have attached a pic ,a poor one at the low res.

Thanks
Matt
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
BTM

Matt

I don't see a problem with expansion on your project. The walls sit on the slab, and should not separate from it. So will the stone once affixed to the wall.

But, on the other hand, if you think water will get on the porch and it slopes towards the house; then you'll want to go with the caulk idea. I have seen a lot fail at ground level in a 'freeze/thaw' situation. But Nashville? Probably not

As far as the windows and doors, just run the stone up to the trim. There really isn't a concern for expansion, and you have already done the 'house wrap' for the seal.

And hey, if you own a tile saw after all those projects at home, it will cut that cultered stone REALLY nice!..................BOB
BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Neverdone

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. I was worried about the scratch coat being butted to the alluminum window frame, the door is fiberglass with that never rot caseing so it is pretty stable. I do have a saw it is a MK 660 and has been worth every penny. Today I finished all the little details now I can start putting up the wire.

Thanks again
Matt
Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
jdm

I would think that you should build a wood or synthetic wood (Azek, Fypon) frame around the aluminum window and apply the stone facade up to that.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com