Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
stouff93

Small gap from tile to wall - what to do?

I tiled my kitchen with 18" travertine and I'm left with about 1.5" from the edge of the tile to the wall. This space is under the cabinets in most places, but a few will have to be filled with tile that are exposed gaps.

Is there any problem leaving this gap under the cabinets or should I just "bite the bullet" and cut some strips to fill the gap. FYI, the house is outside of Beaufort, SC in the low country where bugs live year round. I guess these gaps could become nice condiminums for the bugs unless I sealed the gap with caulk, etc if not filling with tile.

Thanks,
Eric
stouff93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
jdm

If I understand correctly, there is a 1 1/2" gap from the top of the tile to the bottom of the upper cabinets. You really should cut some tiles to fit. If you don't want to cut the tiles yourself, HD and Lowe's cut tiles for about $1 per cut. The staff there might not even notice if you bring in tiles that you didn't buy there. Just take measurements, mark each tile, and bring them in.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
stouff93

Not exactly, I'm talking about floor tile and a leftover space to the vertical wall, my bad in not defining further. I made sure when installing the tile that my tiles are level and flat for the kitchen cabinets to sit. I just have 1.5" gap from the floor tile to the wall.
stouff93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
bbcamp

The 1.5" gap at the walls is OK to leave un-filled under the base cabinets, but you should cut some strips to fill in where it shows. The cabinets will have enough support without this last bit of tile. Don't worry about the bugs under your cabinets. If they are there, then it wasn't because you didn't tile that last 1.5".
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
mrjetskey

You could fill it with insecticide then youd have the worlds smallest bug moat!!Sorry me bad couldnt resist!
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com