Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
charlesj

New bathroom

If I could get some input on this it would be greatly appreicated. We're at the stage in the house construction to start the bath. What I have now for a floor is
2x12's 16" oc with a 14' span, with glued 3/4 t&g osb subfloor. I have 2x4 sleepers 10" oc with gypcrete. I'm planning on using thinset then 1/4" dura rock screwing into the sleepers. I am using 8x8 terra cotta tiles. Any advice on this ?
charlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Why the sleepers and the gypcrete, where is the gypcrete, between the sleepers?
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hello Charles,

I'm no expert on either GypCrete or in-floor heating, but I don't think they'll approve Durock over the GypCrete. I'm pretty sure that US Gypsum (maker of Durock) will require the material be placed over plywood.

You might look into Schluter Ditra in place of the Durock. http://www.schluter.com

Of course, I hope someone who knows what he's talking about will happen along, too.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
charlesj

The gypcreate is between the sleepers. I'm putting in flooring that is 3/4'' in the house & i'd like the tile to be the same height where it meets. Could you suggest something other than dura rock to raise the floor height 1/4" that I need to gain to be level with the flooring.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

This is a curious design and one I have never seen before.It creates a unique situation in that your sleepers which are dimension lumber are going to create a unique problem.
You see, backerboards are not designed for installation on gypcrete flooring and neither are they designed to be directly attached to dimension lumber.I have seen failures where Backer board was attached directly to dimension lumber in countertop and shower curb applications done by others.Dimension lumber expands and contracts at a rate far above that of Plywood or any engineered panel for that matter giving far better stability for the application of any of the underlayment options. Some Questions

#1-Who designed this floor system if you dont mind my asking??
#2-Is this a hydronic heat system within the Gypcrete??
#3- was your plan to thinset Backerboard to the gypcrete and mechanically attach it to the sleepers??

If you could answer these questions for some additional background,I will see about getting a couple of Manufacturing people involved here to see what kind of options may be available to you.
My initial gut feeling on this is that there will be No warrantable option from any manufacturer,but hey.Ive been mistaken in the past and am not going to presume this to be the case.
Let see if there are any good options out there for you shall we
Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
mark11755
Old Guy

Having worked for Hardie for most of the 90's and here at Custom since, I must say, I've never heard this one before.

Our line of products has not been engineered to handle this type of situation. I'm sur eyou'll get some pros that will direct you to the best alternative solution to what you're trying to do.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
charlesj

#1-Who designed this floor system if you dont mind my asking??
#2-Is this a hydronic heat system within the Gypcrete??
#3- was your plan to thinset Backerboard to the gypcrete and mechanically attach it to the sleepers??
The answer to these questions are:
#1-I got the Idea from a friend that did It in his house 3 yrs ago & no problems as of yet.
#2-Yes this is a hydronic heat system.
#3-yes on # 3
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Well Charles, it is certainly unconventional and as such unwarrantable.Will it work?? Well, your friends did so I wont say No, however,it may fail miserably.
Ive seen some strange things that should have failed last 20 years(these are rare however) and some installations done by the book that failed for no apparant reason(these are very rare also).
You heard from Mark and can consider him the Voice of Custom Building Products.If they have nothing to handle this situation(i really didnt think they did) it is not likely you will find a warrantable method.
So, that said, you can follow your original plan and use an ultrapremium modified thinset and hope for the best, Or, i hate to say this, remove all the dimension lumber, fill the resultant holes and build up your height witha self leveling cement followed By A membrane like Ditra.
I dont know what else to tell you.
My opinion, worth pice charged!!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase