Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
elfederale

Warm Tiles question

I am going to be installing the Warm Tiles wiring underneath my tile in the bathroom downstairs. The subfloor is cement and flat. Total square feet of the bathroom floor is around 100-110 feet. Is it necessary to put a scratch coat over the Warm Tiles wires prior to tiling or can I just cover the wires with the thinset i'll be using with the tiles? I've researched using the search feature and see that most people use SLC over the radiant heat wires. Would it be recommended to do this prior to laying the tiles? Thanks!

Oh yes- one other question. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to adhere the plastic pieces to the concrete floor which the wires attach to? Will hot glue work, or should I use some sort of concrete tack etc?

Muchas gracias again!

Rob
elfederale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Mike2

Rob.

I went out to the Warm Tiles website and they do recommend a thinset scratch coat WHEN the tiles to be installed are 4X4" and smaller. You can download the detailed installation instructions by Clicking here
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
elfederale

Yeah I read that. I forgot to include in my initial post that the tiles i'll be using are 6x6. I guess putting the scratch coat will not be needed according to what I read? Any suggestions?

I am stumped as to the best way to attach the plastic pieces the wires are attached to onto the concrete floor. Any ideas out there?

Rob
Old 01-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
jdm

At the bottom of the page that Mike's link points to, there is a link to the full installation instructions for Warm Tiles. The instructions suggest using self tapping concrete screws to install the support pieces. The instructions also state that installing over Warm Tiles without a 'scratch coat' is significantly more difficult and should be done only by experienced tilers. Although more expensive, it might be easier to pour an SLC that to trowel an entire thinset floor flat.

Lots of detail in those instructions.

jeff

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Mike2

Rob, need to clarify one thing - are you using Warm Tile Cables or Warm Tile Mats?

If Cables the instructions (see pg. 6) say the clips should be fastened to a concrete floor using self-tapping concrete screws (like Tapcons). Again if using Cables, the instructions do say using the scratch-coat method is probably the easier approach (but not mandatory) even if tiles larger than 4X4 are being used.

If you are using Mats then the instructions (see pgs. 7 - 9) say the mat support clips can be taped or hot melt glued to a concrete floor.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
elfederale

I'm using the cables....

Just to clarify, what is a "scratch" coat? Is it basically the same thing as using SLC?

Thanks!

A gung ho novice
Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

As I understand it (and I'm not entirely positive), a scratch coat is to put down the media in as thin as possible layer to make it flat. In the case of the cables, you'd end up with a layer the height of the wires. It would be much easier to pour a little slc (but be cautious, if the floor isn't level, you'll get it thicker in places than you thought). A dead flat and level floor is much easier to tile over.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
elfederale

Scratch coat

I'm installing cable type electric radiant floor heat and the directions say to put a scratch coat over the cables prior to tiling. Is a scratch coat the same thing as self leveling cement? My first thought it that a scratch coat is rougher.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I would reccomend Self Leveling Cement.
What type of cable(manufacturer) and what type surface are we going over??
Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
elfederale

I'm going over warm tiles cable on a concrete slab.

Any advice?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with Todd, SLC is going to be the easiest for you to do. I usually install Ditra over the floated floor. Repairing a cracked tile is tricky with those wires under them.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
Unregistered

Where can I get this Ditra?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
Mike2

I'm going to merge this Thread with your other Warm Tiles Thread so we keep everything together elfederale. Otherwise we can end up with unnecessary duplicate posting and worse yet, loose valuable background information.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com