Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
quantum

Tiling a shower stall floor

Hi - I've been lurking a week or so. I'm working on a bathroom remodel that's 4'x8'; the stall is 3'x4'. I'd like to use the same 12x12 tiles in the stall as the rest of the room, but will this be a problem with the slope? So far, I've only seen stall floors with much smaller tiles. The drain is about 5-6" off center. I haven't checked the slope yet because I've been doing demo on the walls. The pan and existing tile floor look like they're in very good shape and solid (almost looks like tile was set right into the concrete). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Mike2

Hi Quantum. Glad to have you with us.

Yes, generally speaking any tile larger that 4" will give you fits on a shower floor because of the slopes that hit the drain at different angles. This is especially true/noticable in smaller showers and even more so when the drain is off center. Personally I think you would be better off thinking about 2 X 2's on the floor.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

In addition to Mike's fine comment, there is also a greater possibility of slipping on the larger tile. With 2x2's you've got enough grout lines for your toes to get a hold of!
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
quantum

Cool - thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Quantum. Please give us a first name.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
quantum

Thanks John; its Jim.

I stuck a level on the shower floor last night after I posted, and the area of the floor closest to the plumbing doesn't seem to have enough slope. It has some slope, but I was wondering if I couldn't just put a little extra thinset under the new tiles to give it a little ooomph.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
bbcamp

1/4" per foot is the recommended slope, but any slope that gets the water to the drain without ponding is good enough.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
quantum

Didn't know if I should start a new thread or not, so I found this one and dusted it off.

A few more questions for the Tile gods:

1. I read that Flexbond should be used if tile is going in over tile, and Versabond for tile going on Wonderboard. Correct? And why?

2. Is RedGard easy to find? I asked a HD guy over the weekend and he gave me a 1000 yard stare. (Need it for niche I want to build.)

3. I bought 6 mil plastic sheeting. Does it go under the WOnderboard in the stall or throughout the entire bathroom?

4. I was planning on putting greenboard on the bathroom walls outside of the stall; the sink will have a tile backsplash, and the rest of the room will have only a sanitary base. Cool?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
Steve in PA
Tile Contractor/ Installer

back to your first question...

"I'd like to use the same 12x12 tiles in the stall as the rest of the room"

you can always cut the 12x12's down to 2,3 or 4" pieces. you just need to set the guide on the wet saw and stand there for about an hour or so. I've done this often for customers wanting to use the same tile on the shower floor.

hope that helps,

kil
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #10
quantum

Thanks kil - I thought about that but went back and got 2x2 tiles for the shower floor. Figgered it was easier that way....
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

Home Depot is still regional in its buying habits, but it's trying to get things in universally. In my Home Depot the Red Guard is in the roofing section. (Yeah, I know. )

The poly (plastic sheathing is only needed in the shower, not all around the bathroom.

Greenboard is fine for the bathroom walls.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #12
quantum

Thanks John! Incredible site , btw; especially these forums.

I've tackled lots of home improvement projects, but I always found water-related stuff very intimidating - more so than electrical work.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #13
wrf

Jim HD has it but the guys working there often have no clue they do. Local HD 3 or 4 people said no way till finally someone asked the guy who said oh yeah aisle 10. Here it is in a small section in flooring/tile where the keep grout and tile cleaners etc
Randy
wrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com