Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Jabez

20 x 20 mixed with 12 x 12 in a hopscotch pattern

First of all, I have installed small 4 x 4 tiles around a bathtub but never installed floor tiles. I have had 35 boxes of 20 x 20 tiles sitting on my back deck for over a year now (too many other projects that I had to finish before starting this one). I am about ready to get started on this project.

The project originally was to remove all carpet downstairs (front living area, and family room) and install ceramic tiles. Currently the other rooms downstairs already have 12 x 12 ceramic tiles. I selected a 20 x 20 tile that will coordinate with the existing tiles. Since I bought the tiles (a year ago), I've seen the "hopscotch" pattern, which I just love. Now I'm thinking of purchasing additional tiles (same color as the 20 x 20) but buying the 12 x 12 so that I can layout the hopscotch pattern.

I am an extremely visual person and will layout all tiles (dry) before I begin to set them but I am wondering if there is a software out there anywhere that would allow me to put in my room dimensions and tile dimensions with layout to see exactly how many I need. When I originally purchased the tile, I was only going to do the two living areas but now that I have the hopscotch idea I would really like to remove the existing tiles downstairs (in the kitchen, utility, power room and front entry) and have the entire downstairs in this one tile color. I need to calculate how many 12 x 12 tiles I will need to purchase and make sure I have enough of the 20 x 20 tiles too.

Does anyone know of a software out there that would do this?? I checked the reference libbery and checked out the links there but they will not allow me to put in my room and tile dimensions.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jabez
Jabez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jabez,

I think you might have to buy something.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jabez, welcome.

Everyone likes that pattern, including me. I would like a 6x6 or 8x8 to go with the 20x20's. The 12's will be fine though.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Jabez

John & Davy,

Thanks so much for your replies.

John, I looked through all the information for newbies and did find one software link that had to be purchased but when reading the details of the software it stated that it would not be able to lay out the pattern according to room dimmensions. It would only allow you to "see the pattern" so I don't think it will be of much use to me. I'd be willing to pay for the software if I could just find the right one for my purpose.

I did find, through a web search, a beta software that allows for what I need it to do. I've sent them an e-mail and hope to be included in the beta project.

Davy, I never thought of 6x6 or 8x8 tiles (but I did think of 10 x 10). I'll have to lay out some of the 8x8's and 6x6's before I decide. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions before I get the actual tile laying process.

Jabez
Old 10-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Jabez

I went to the tile store yesterday to see what I could find to go with my 20 x 20 (which are actually 19 5/8 x 19 5/8). They told me that I could not do a pattern because the manufacturer of my tiles does not make any combination of tiles that will work with 20 x 20. They told me that I would have to have tiles that would equal the 20 inches in order to make the pattern work correctly. First of all, is that true?? I looked through John's book again and could not find anything that said that my tiles had to be equal although, in looking at the photo examples in the book, they do look equal.

Can I just use my 20 x 20's and add a 13 x 13 or a 6.5 x 6.5 or even a 13 x 20 into the mix?? I've used grid paper to cut out various shapes of tile and tried to find patterns with that. It seems to me that it will work even if they don't "equal".

I did however, find that I can use my 20 x 20 (19 5/8 x 19 5/8) with the following combination if they must "equal". The combination would be 6.5 x 6.5 and 13 x 13 (6.5 + 13 = 19.5).

I am still undecided as to what I should do about the existing tiles. About 1/4 of the downstairs area already has 13 x 13 tiles. I'm not sure how hard it will be to take them out but I think it would look much better if I didn't have two different tiles downstairs. The existing tiles are in the kitchen (which opens straight into the main living area) and the small hall which leads to a tiled 1/2 bath and a tiled laundry room. I know for sure that I will take up the tiles in the main entry way so I'm thinking that I should try to get those up before I make a final decision to see how they come up and how much damage will be done to my existing cement floor. If I need to leave the existing tiles I guess that I will have to find some way to tie the two together. I have 2 boxes of the existing tiles so I'm thinking that I could cut them into smaller pieces and also cut some of the 20 x 20 into smaller pieces and use the combination to as a transition between the two. Any suggestions or comments on this would be very appreciated.

After reading John's book, I do feel a bit more confident but, I must say that I am a perfectionist and I do not want the finished look to look like it was done by a "homeowner".

Thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
Mike2

Hi there Jabez, Welcome.

Here is a variant of a "Hopscotch" pattern (sometimes called "Pinwheel") that will work with both your 20 & 13 inch tiles. Is this what you had in mind?

In our Liberry you will find access to many different tile patterns. Some are modular in nature meaning you must use very specific sizes as you were told in the tile store, while many others like the example I've posted are more universal in nature.
Attached Images

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jabez, I'll try and explain this right. Nearly all patterns we install have a repeat in the pattern and this repeat is normally parallel with the walls. You can pop caulk lines parallel with the walls at the repeats and the lines will help you stay square with the room. Some patterns have a repeat closer than others. If you use a 20 inch and a 10 inch in the hopscotch pattern you will have a repeat in the pattern. You could also use a 2, 4 or 5 inch with the 20 inch and have a repeat. I think the smaller the tile is (like the 2 in.) the further apart the repeat will be. When you throw in a oddball size like 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 with the 20 inch you won't have a repeat. The pattern will work with any two size tiles, it doesn't matter what the sizes are but you just won't have a repeat in the pattern to pop lines to. You end up doing alot of free handing. With big tiles the repeat is far away anyway, a 20 inch and a 10 inch will repeat about every 70 inches.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #8
Jabez

Thank you both. I really like the look of the 20's with the 13's. I'll probably go with that.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
Mike2

It's a nice pattern Jabez, but remember as Davy points out, given your use of 20's and 13's (which will work ) you will not have repetivive cuts at the permieter of the room. And you will eventually will end up with cut tiles 1" or less in some border areas. That's just the nature of the pattern using even and odd sized tiles.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, but if there is a small one it will only be one tile, each tile will be a different size all along the walls. If you were to go with a 10 and a 20 then you will have 3 different size cuts in a row and those 3 will repeat over and over. Depending on how it lays out, it could be worse using the 10 and 20. 1 of those 3 could be a small cut and would repeat over and over. I wouldn't worry about it. The worse part of not having a repeat pattern is you can't pop out a grid of lines to go by, at least I haven't figured out how to.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #11
Jabez

I see the point. I've got a scale drawing of my rooms, so I'll lay them out with my graph paper tiles to have a better idea before I order the 13's.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Jabez

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com