Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Darkmstf

Removing Glue/Cement from Plywood Floor

Question... we had put down a wood parquet floor a while back with some glue that of course STICKS. The parquet floor is UP and to the best of our ability we got as much glue up as possible, but there are sections that there is a gluey/cementy type of debris still on the floor. Is there ANY CHEMICAL that will remove this? Another alternative would be to get a sander and attempt to sand the whole thing down... but would much prefer to dissolve it if possible. Thanks. BTW, half the room is ceramic and in order to finish the rest of the room in ceramic, we either have to figure out something to take up this glue OR remove the entire floor and put a whole new subfloor down. I really don't want to have to pull up the existing ceramic which is in excellent shape just so we can have a level floor again.
Darkmstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Dark. Give us a better name for ya, eh?

Let's be clear about your intent. After you remove the glue residue, you're planning to lay tile directly on that plywood to make the new tile even vertically with the adjacent tile floor?

What's under the plywood that has the glue on it?

What's under the tile in the other half of the room?

Do you realize that I'm gonna be chastised here for answering your question with a question, just like some Injineers hereabouts are accused of doing?
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
bbcamp

OK, when have I ever done that? Huh? All I ever said was that you could have fun bustin' out some concrete, but NOOOO, I get busted for answerin' a question with a question, kinda like Mike....
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
SVTKate

At Home Depot they have some adhesive remover that they hide over in th epaint department. You could buy a small can and give it a try. It is like paint stripper in use and application.
SVTKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Darkmstf

<<<Welcome, Dark. Give us a better name for ya, eh?

------>>>Oh so sorry! Lisa!

<<<Let's be clear about your intent. After you remove the glue residue, you're planning to lay tile directly on that plywood to make the new tile even vertically with the adjacent tile floor?

----->>I would LIKE to do that.. however I'm not so sure we can... but I figured if we could at least get the glue/cement OFF and sand down we can get a better idea of whether it's do-able or not.

<<<What's under the plywood that has the glue on it?

----->>Wood flooring ... OLD wood flooring.

<<<What's under the tile in the other half of the room?

------>>Plywood ...

<<Do you realize that I'm gonna be chastised here for answering your question with a question, just like some Injineers hereabouts are accused of doing?

----->>LOL! That's okay ... I co-run an email list and tend to do the same thing... ask more questions than give answers.

----->>Chances are we're going to have to chip out all the "GOOD" tile and start from scratch... if not rip up the entire plywood flooring, which hubby says unless we cut it away from the joists it will be impossible as the plywood was screwed and nailed down, we'll have to lay another layer of cement board OVER the existing plywood... which of course causes more problems as it means we have to cut doors, moldings, etc. to handle the higher floor now. I'm NOT a happy camper.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Darkmstf

SVTKate, thanks... I *think* we probably already tried that... but I'll go take a look. We've tried a few things at it but nothing is making a dent in terms of dissolving the glue in the least. Do you know what the name of the stuff is???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTKate
At Home Depot they have some adhesive remover that they hide over in th epaint department. You could buy a small can and give it a try. It is like paint stripper in use and application.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Mike2

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the Forum.

Let's hold up a bit here....I think it's time to pull the reins in and have chat. Since we now know you're intent is to lay tile on the plywood covered with that sticky mess we need to take 5. That won't be makin our injun-ear nor our resident builder very happy, and believe me, dat builder is cranky enough as it is.

So just between you and me, lets look that this plywood very closely. By any chance could it just be a thin underlayment over an existing and glue-free sub-floor? If so it could be that ripping up the underlayment is gonna be 10 times easier than ripping up that glue.

Now I'm gonna get in trouble again for axing questions - geeze, ever had a day you just want to start all over?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #8
Darkmstf

Mike, we put the plywood down many years ago... 3/4 inch over a old wooden floor (think it was birch or something). Honestly cutting it out is really NOT an option... I mean we COULD but going to take a lot of work. It's nail gunned/screwed down ... EVERYWHERE. Would have to literally go down into the basement and cut through the flooring around the joists and still try to pull up the renegade pieces from the joists... and then we'll be walking on JOISTS ... and that ain't too special for those of us who have balancing problems! LOL! BUT if we must do it, we will. I even asked hubby why not get a circular saw, have blade set at say 3/4" and just buzz the whole thing... but he says he can't. <sigh> Seemed to me to be "logical".

Honestly we're not holding up much hope that even IF we removed the glue we'll be able to put a new floor down that is going to match the existing ceramic. And besides, now hubby wants to just go with granite which means either we're ripping up the existing ceramic anyway OR going over EVERYTHING with more plywood and cement board. Don't ASK! It's getting WAY too complicated and I wanna go hide in a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
Hi Lisa. Welcome to the Forum.

Let's hold up a bit here....I think it's time to pull the reins in and have chat. Since we now know you're intent is to lay tile on the plywood covered with that sticky mess we need to take 5. That won't be makin our injun-ear nor our resident builder very happy, and believe me, dat builder is cranky enough as it is.

So just between you and me, lets look that this plywood very closely. By any chance could it just be a thin underlayment over an existing and glue-free sub-floor? If so it could be that ripping up the underlayment is gonna be 10 times easier than ripping up that glue.

Now I'm gonna get in trouble again for axing questions - geeze, ever had a day you just want to start all over?
Old 09-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

In the last year or so I've removed a bunch of subflooring. Get a nail-cutting saw blade for the circular saw, set the depth to that of the subfloor and cut out sections. Don't try to push it too fast, you're cutting a bunch of depth, and the occasional nail, screw. If you don't have a decent circular saw, you may burn the motor out. Pry it up. Course, I agree with you, this is the last resort, but if you must, this method works.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
Mike2

Morning Lisa. Well my suggestion didn't turn out as I hoped it would...about the possibility of that plywood being just a thin layer of underlayment. So moving forward...

A situation unfolding now I'd like to point out is we don't recommend to any homeowner the notion of laying tile directly on plywood. Have never seen an exception to this as long as I've been here. It's true, some pros on the Forum will do this, however in those cases they would want two layers of ply fastened in a very special way.

Thus with your plywood sub-floor you need to face the reality of laying down some backerboard or an uncoupling membrane. Going the backerboard route, I don't think your advisors on this thread will be so particular about getting all that glue up.

Additionally it sounds like some other reconsiderations are taking place in you household so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Back to you.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #11
Darkmstf

HA! So it CAN be done... why does hubby make like I'm an idiot when I come up with such ideas? Nail cutting saw blade... Hmmm... guess I'll be paying a visit to Home Depot this weekend... <g> Altho I think we're going to be doing the floor last ... have to re-do the whole ceiling first (tree hit our roof and have 2 open holes in the ceiling now)... so ceiling down FIRST, then floor in next. Yeah, our poor bedroom is a MESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua
In the last year or so I've removed a bunch of subflooring. Get a nail-cutting saw blade for the circular saw, set the depth to that of the subfloor and cut out sections. Don't try to push it too fast, you're cutting a bunch of depth, and the occasional nail, screw. If you don't have a decent circular saw, you may burn the motor out. Pry it up. Course, I agree with you, this is the last resort, but if you must, this method works.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #12
Darkmstf

Mike, thanks... you are too funny! No, don't worry, hubby doesn't recommend laying ceramic, granite OR marble on plywood either ... definitely will be going with a backer board for that one. Altho I will say he laid granite on plywood in our livingroom and it's perfect... go figure. But, no, he usually uses the proper backer board when doing ceramic/granite, etc. Life would be ever so much easier if we could just carpet the darn floor ... BUT we have 5 mastiffs... makes it a losing proposition to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2
Morning Lisa. Well my suggestion didn't turn out as I hoped it would...about the possibility of that plywood being just a thin layer of underlayment. So moving forward...

A situation unfolding now I'd like to point out is we don't recommend to any homeowner the notion of laying tile directly on plywood. Have never seen an exception to this as long as I've been here. It's true, some pros on the Forum will do this, however in those cases they would want two layers of ply fastened in a very special way.

Thus with your plywood sub-floor you need to face the reality of laying down some backerboard or an uncoupling membrane. Going the backerboard route, I don't think your advisors on this thread will be so particular about getting all that glue up.

Additionally it sounds like some other reconsiderations are taking place in you household so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Back to you.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com