Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
sean riha

Which thinset for granite tiles???

I purchase Custom brand products from HomeDepot. I have been using Versabond for my Hardibacker to floor. But will Versabond be OK for the tiles? I ask this because I see HomeDepot also has a Custom thinset product that is for granite tiles. Should I get that stuff instead? Also, these tiles are 12" x 12"... what is the proper notched trowel size for tiles this size? Thanks!
Sean
sean riha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

A regular thinset is fine for the granite,but if you're going over hardi over wood, have you checked out your flooring on the deflecto at the top of this page? This will check your joists and subfloor to see if it will support marble. Marble needs a very stiff floor. If it checks out o.k.,i would use a straight edge to check the floor for humps and dips,and screed a little wet thinset in the dips before i started setting, then i'd use a marble set,with a rubber mallet to tap the marble level. I personally only mudset stone because i think that's the only way to get it pefectly flat, but others use thinset,and maybe a 1/2" trowel,but it takes practice,let us know how the deflecto checks out.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
sean riha

What is the difference from mud-set to thinset? Is mudset a prepackaged thing I can purchase at the local homedepot or menards?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Mike2

Hi Sean:

Davestone is a very accomplished and experience professional tile setter and nothing is wrong with his mud-set approach. However, I'd say make life easy on yourself and use the VersaBond thinset - it is much more user friendly to "inexperienced hands" (and please don't take that in a negative sense, OK )
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Mike's right about the mudset,it's a whole different difficult method, that's what i meant by marble set,it's a heavy bodied thinset to trowel set stone with. I'm not that familiar with H.D. material,i don't use it,i get mine from tile supply stores,and they have different names,but i would definitely check that floor for flatness,and maybe use at least 1/8" grout joint in it,to save your sanity.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
sean riha

So is everyone in agreement that I should use the white colored Versabond with a 1/2" notched trowel??? My floor flat and very well supported so no worries there.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
Mike2

Sean. If I ever get down to Davestone's neck of the woods I'll have to look him up so he can show me his troweling technique. Often he mentions using a larger size trowel than what I could get away with. Not saying he's wrong mind you, just saying that if I used a 1/2" or even 3/8" notch, I'd have mucho grande thinset oosing out of my joints for typical 12 X 12 granite tile.

Depending upon the thickness of the tile, I personally would have better luck with a 1/4" or 5/16" notch.

VersaBond, yes I would use that...white for light colored tiles and grout, grey for dark ones.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
sean riha

Is Blue Pearl granite considered dark or light? Should I just play it safe and use white?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Mike2

Here's your Blue Pearl. What color grout Sean which I think might be of more importance? If on the lighter side I'd go with White Versabond, elsewise Grey.

But that's just my opinion...lets get some more people in on this one.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Use the white, why worry about the grey possibly darkening or staining the stone.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com