Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
hersh

Cracked Floor

Good evening all. I went to prepare the floor to my master bath to lay 12 x 12 porcelin. When I pulled up the carpet I discovered a crack next to the tub. The crack is approx. 1/2 in above the rest of the floor. What is the best way to go about leveling this and filling in the crack? I have attached a picture. Thank you for any/all advice.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Is this area loose at all, either way, chip it out and fill with sand mix even with the rest of the floor, let set over night and then tile with a good modified thinset.

Seeing it's a small area, you should be fine without a membrane, unless you have some lying around, I always have some from other jobs for these small patches and cracks.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
hersh

Thanks for the advice. It's not really loose, the chunks in the picture are from when I began chipping it out. I stopped because I second guessed myself.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

We can hope that's the result of a previous patch of some sort. Part of a foundation slab raised a half-inch above the surrounding is a troublesome thing.

I can't tell much from your picher. Does the raised portion appear to be part of the original slab, or does it look like different material?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
hersh

It does look pretty different than the rest of the concrete. I don't know what the previous owners might have done. Is the white coloring around the area left from the carpet?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If this tub has the drain on the side, right near the patched area it could be where they boxed out the slab. I'd chip it down flush with the slab, if it comes loose go ahead and take out what you can and patch it back.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
hersh

Thanks, your exactly right the drain is right next to this area. Does any of you recommend a specific product for this?. I'm hesitant to go ask HD. I bought some products there when I did my kitchen, prior to me finding this forum, fortunately I found this place in time. Pretty much everything they suggested was not thought of very highly by professionals. I had a pro that I know make sure I was good to go and had to take back the thin set before I started, it was totally wrong. So my confidence is pretty low on their opinion now.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Hersh.

You can use any cement product you have around to fill the small space. If the whole chunk doesn't chip out, just get it down level with the floor and hit it with a little thin set. Soup it up and let it drain down into the crack.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
hersh

Thanks for all your help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase