Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
shebatx

carpet meets tile

We're tiling a floor;

In the doorway where carpet from one room will meet the tile in the other, I want it to be a transition with no visible threshold - this is how tile/carpet transition works in several rooms already in our house when we bought it.

What is this called - some kind of tack strip keeps the carpet (a berber, not one w/ lots of fuzz) appearing to end smoothly where the tile begins - no metal or wood strip visible.

--> Does this strip need to be put in before the tiles are put in place, or is it something you do after laying the tile?

thanks for input.
Sheba
shebatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Unregistered

We usually call it a Z strip but it probably has a real name. It could go in before or after, but it usually is nailed to the subfloor and even on wood thats tough to do. On concrete I would really worry about breaking my freshly laid tile. Its not too bad tiling right up to it.

I don't even want to think about trusting a tile guy to do it, its not much fun getting called back to fix a neanderthal with a hammers mistake.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
shebatx

the "subfloor" here is concrete slab;

can the Z strip be installed and used to tuck in the carpet *after* the tiles are already set? ... in our case the tiles are set as of today and not yet grouted - and I am wondering since I see that nothing has been done yet about the carpet/tile threshold, am hoping it can be done afterwards, I do not want a metal strip threshold between the two rooms
Old 07-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Unregistered

Yep, it can be done aftewards but isnt as easy if your going to be pounding in nails. Another method comonly used if the tile has enough depth to it is to use a normal tack strip next to the tile and tuck the carpet into the gap between the tile and the tack strip. Doesnt work as well and can lead to holes in the ole feet if you step on it just rigth bare foot.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
shebatx

Hmm - now that you mention it, I guess that is how the existing tile/carpet thresholds were done - now and then I step on something sharp / pointy at the threshold.

Can I try to pound down the pointy things w/ a small hammer or something after the fact? I had been meaning to try this but so far have not followed thru. Guess it has not poked my foot often enough to provoke a corrective action yet.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's called Z-bar, HD has it. Put it under the tack strip and keep it away from the tile edge about 1/2 inch. Lap the carpet over the tile and cut it about 1/2 inch past the edge of the tile. Tuck the carpet under the metal and tap on it with a hammer along the edge being careful not to chip any tiles.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sure you can pound down the pointy things, but don't hit the edge of the tile.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
Mike2

But don't pound on the pointies until after the carpet is laid.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
mitchellji

I also hold a thin piece of wood bewteen the tack strip and the edge of the tile when I nail down the tack strip. That way I don't hit the tile with the hammer. If you decide to bend down the nail points after installing the carpet I would tape over the edge of the tile with 2 layers of masking tape. You'd have to hit the tape pretty hard to break the tile and it prevents nicks.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Tack strip and tuck it to the tile.
Attached Images

Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #11
DAVE_AZ

In the case of a doorway where carpet meets new tile, if you previously had wall to wall carpet, there is usually a carpet seam essentially along the exact line where the new tile to carpet transition will be (or there is in my house anyway).

I'm wondering if the seam tape glue makes the carpet pretty stiff, and harder to roll it over cleanly to the transition strip (compared to carpet without the glue remnants) ?

any tips, tricks, or special tools help here?
DAVE_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com