Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-01-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
CaBear

Grout Depth

From a previous post, it was suggested by the moderators that I change from a non sanded grout to a sanded grout when grouting my nearly 1/8" grout joints. Initially when I grouted it with the non-sanded grout, the grout started to crack diagonally across the joint due to shrinkage. Now I have begun to regrout with sanded grout but am having great difficulty getting the grout all the way in the joint. At best I am able to get the grout 2/3 of the way in on a tile that is about 3/8" thick. I have thinned it out considerably. Should I try to grout again with the non-sanded but this time be more careful about the amount of water used during cleanup or am I ok with this sanded grout??

-Kurt
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
moz

I wouldn't thin it out too much. Try using the short end of the float to squeeze it into the joints instead of spreading the grout with the long edge. You shouldn't have any problems.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

2/3 should provide sufficient depth for residential applications.

Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Don't know what happened before, but I would be using unsanded for joints 1/8" and smaller.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think people gauge there grout joint width differently. My eithth-inch joints might be narrower than your eithth-inch joints, for instance.

The grout should be pliable and easily spread. I think it's possible you need a dab more water in the mix. It's very difficult for me to say. I can't see it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
CalBear

John,
I added more admix to the mix. The end result was grout that was kinda like stew. This mix, although messy was easier to push into the joints. To my surprise, it set fairly quickly and the end result was a good looking joint with no cracks.! Yeah!!! I was very worried that too much moisture would result in a lot of shrinkage but thankfully this didn't happen.

Regards,

Kurt
CalBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
CalBear

Uneven Grout Color

Well I finished with the grouting last night and the overall apearance is great, However, the grout is uneven in color. I didn't think that this was possible considering that it is white Hydroment sanded grout with ad-mix. I was a little worried that the thin mix made in order to squeeze it into the nearly 1/8" joints would cause crackin, but this is not the case. Now the problem seems to be that I may have created a color inconsistence with each batch that I mixed up. I didn't measure out the mix but I did pay careful attention to the viscosity of the mix. Also I am wondering if the rubber grout float I used may have discolored the grout. It has only been about 10 hours since I've finished the application so I may just need to wait a little longer and things may even out. Any ideas????

Thanks!

-Kurt
CalBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Kurt, glad to hear it's working out. The sand keeps it from cracking but only mix it as thin as necessary.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Kurt,

We are going to try to keep you in one thread. I'm going to merge the two together.

Well sanded and unsanded can result in different colors.

I suggest wating until the first of the week before getting too concerned.

Two ways to handle it if it still bugs you.

One- wait until it gets a little dirty. Dirt is a great equalizer

Two- Aquamix carries a grout paint. You can even the color out by applying this later.
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com