Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Designrrr

Can you tile the side of a non tile ready tub?

I have a 50+ year old cast iron white enamel tub that's still in goods shape. OK now, no laughing! Would it be possible to glue a piece of cement board or whatever they use on the shower wall on the side of the tub and tile it that way? Just treat the side of the tub like a wall? Also, over the years it's been caulked and recaulked and the seam between the tile and tub looks awful. Can old hard caulk be removed without damaging the tub? If I keep the tub, I will be changing the tile surround. If not, I will replace with a shower so it will all go. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Designrrr

I guess I should take the deafening silence as a no. I had hoped something could be affixed to the side and then tiled. Seemed reasonable to a novice. Anyway, thanks to the 64 people who read my question.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I recall your question having been discussed here before Carol, and the feedback has universally been "not a god idea".

There maybe adhesives that you could use to get some kind of tile backer board to stick to the tub but then you'd be additionally challenged with having to figure out how to deal with finishing the top edge. The thicknesses of the backer, the mortar for the tile, and the tiles themselves will all add up to probably 3/4", possibly more.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Carol, sorry it took a while to get an answer but like Dan said, although there are some pretty strong adhesives available, it's not something we would usually do.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Designrrr

Thanks for the feedback. I've moved since then in the same building and have the same tub to deal with. Thank you guys for replying. Probably going to replace with a shower pan either tiled or not. What seems simple in theory isn't so in practice, I guess.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

If the tub is solid, there's a pretty good likelihood that our ECO Prim Grip would let you bond tile to it. Make sure to remove all soap residue or other bond breakers and try a small area to make sure the ECO Prim Grip is going to bond (let it dry at least 24 hours) before doing the whole surface.

Good luck!

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase