Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 03-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
What lies beneath - hunch the proper waterproof backing wasn't used in shower

I had a deal with my tenant where he renovated his apt. and bath in exchange for reduced rent. The contractor was a crook and the bathroom ceiling had be redone because the material wasn't waterproof. The tiles were already up around the bath surround so that stayed. It's been up around 5 years and is OK I think, but there's a good chance the proper backing wasn't used. I want to rent the apt. when he leaves and I'm afraid the 12 x 24 tiles will fall off the walls. I don't think he was using the shower. The bath has one of those tricked out shower bodies, but I'm hoping the tub filler is separate so maybe a contractor can take off the faucet and/or knobs and see what's behind before I rent it. If properly grouted, is it a given the tiles will fall off? What about if they just use the bath and not the shower. There's a window and ceiling vent. Someone could get badly hurt by a large heavy falling tile or a child killed. What about all the baths though that were built before all these fancy waterproofing products were available? What should I do? Thanks!

Last edited by Designrrr; 03-05-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Designrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Sorry, but itís like youíre asking us how to fix your car because itís making a noise. We can help. But much more info is needed. Letís start with the basics. Some pictures would be a start. And tell us anything you know about how this was built, or what materials were used.

Tonto GoldsteinÖ.. but my friends call me Bubba
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Moderator -- Mud Man
Without knowing more about how the walls were tiled, and what materials were used, there's no way for us to know if you received a quality job or not. Usually the first tiles to fall off are the ones near the tub, not up high. But, if you are worried about it, have a good tilesetter come over and replace it.

Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase