Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Screw In Curb for Shower Door

I was wondering if anyone here has any words of wisdom dealing with this. I'm currently building a funky neo angle shower where the door will actually by swinging off a glass panel vs the wall. There's no other choice in that matter. The issue is the glass company says they need to run a 2 1/2" screw into the curb. They say they silicone it really good blah blah. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

The curb is two stacked 2 by 4's with about 1 1/4" of mud on the top, then wrapped with kerdi membrane. I just can't come up with a good idea that lets me sleep well. The best I can think of is to leave them a tube of kerdi fix and have them shoot that in the screw hole.

You guys know how it is. If there's a problem, who do you think will get the call-me or the glass guy.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Brad, a short screw/pin/stud, with epoxy is the only thing I've heard of that wouldn't put a hole in the Kerdi. Of course a thick piece of slab on the curb would give you more thickness and would hold better than a thin piece of tile. Maybe someone will come up with something better.

Yep, you'll get the call every time.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
reefone
tile setter

ive got a roll in shower with a neo angle I'm doing in a few weeks. the door will swing off a panel of glass. I met with the glass guy and told him that he can not drill into the floor what so ever. he said no problem. they will use a u channel and and tape to secure it too the floor and silicone. the door will also have a metal track that runs along the top that will be screwed into the walls on both ends. so it can be done with out drilling into the curb/floor.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

If not already tiled, can also leave a space between curb tiles for the glass to slip into.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
We've had a number of prior threads on this issue, and my opinion has always been that there can be no penetrations through the waterproofing membrane. That means a 2-1/2 in. screw in this case is not acceptable. Again, it's my opinion. I don't know that any code covers it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Just went through this with a glass guy who drilled through a curb into heat cables. Thanks to Dave Gobis, he provided me with the code which states no penetrations to finished curb. I'm sure he will chime in with the code number. With that in hand, the glass guy wound up paying close to $1800 for the repair. He will never drill into a curb again.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Thanks for the responses, guys! Just for reference, here's a pic of the shower in question. The door will be on the left side where the 45 stops.

It sounds like this can indeed be done without drilling through the curb. We either need to get this glass company on board or find another that can do it, IMO.

Name:  Maxfield shower.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  32.2 KB
Old 03-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Dave Gobis
da Man!

The national code is section 417, 417.5.2 Shower Lining. Local codes usually reflect the same.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Thanks, Dave!

I sent the homeowners the link to this thread too. I told them the guys on here know more than I've forgotten!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase