Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Old 03-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter
Oceanside Glass

I wanted to pass this on to the Pros here. I recently had to install about 120 SQ Ft of paper faced Oceanside glass. After we finished the install we noticed black spots behind some of the tile. The Glass is see through. We used Ardex X 5 to install. During the install the water was turning black from the ink the they used to print the instructions on the sheet. This has never happened before so that was noted. So in trying to find out why there were black spots behind the tile I opened up a new box and took out a sheet I flipped the back of the sheet over to look for black spots. The color of the glass was a purple kind of blue so it was difficult to see that there were very small smudges of the black. I mean very small. What was happening the in the box the back of the sheet was sitting on the face of the sheet below and the ink was rubbing on to the back of the top sheet. I have never seen this before. I called Oceanside to tell them that what I discovered and to my disbelief they acknowledged that they had a problem with the vendor that provides the ink. I asked them why would you print on the sheets anyways. They actually said they would pay my labor to fix it. I told them I had another bathroom that I would be installing the same material but a different color. I asked them what should I do if the black is on the back which there was. He said to clean the sheets with denatured alcohol before installing. He also stated that they since have fixed the issue. What a nightmare.

Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Karl
What a nightmare.
I guess so. How many sq ft needs to be fixed? I have 2 pools coming up that are all Oceanside. I don't foresee a problem since you brought this to light but I can't thank you enough for posting Karl. Nice to know things like this.
jerrymlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter
Well there are shiny pieces on the sheet and matte finish pieces. Almost every single matte piece has a black dot behind it due to the matte glass being like fine sand paper and rubbing the ink off on to the back.
I also noticed that since the ink comes out of the sheet it causes black water to sometimes get behind the tile. Watch for that as well.

Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey
I've always had a good impression of Oceanside and this story confirms that they are one of the good guys out there.

I know having problems sucks but this could be some imported glass tile that you don't get any answers on. It's refreshing to hear that they acknowledge the problem and are willing to warranty it.
Jim Upton
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase