Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Chele

How to remove tile from Schluter curb

After already finishing the curb, I decided I don't like the tile and have returned it for Travertine. Now I'm left with how to remove tile from curb (24" long pieces). I built up the top of the curb to give it some slope, so I have some extra mortar on top above membrane. What is the proper way to remove this porcelain tile without damaging the Schluter (actually Durock brand) membrane? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

How long has it been since tile was set on top?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I built up the top of the curb to give it some slope, so I have some extra mortar on top above membrane.
The membrane itself should be sloped to drain, so perhaps this is a good opportunity to redo the membrane on top of the curb.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Chele

It has been over a month since I tiled the curb. Regarding slope, strange that the foam curb didn't have any built in slope. But I can add more membrane over slope if you think I should.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mike,

You might try breaking the large pieces with a hammer (make smaller pieces) then pry them off. It will screw up the membrane, probably, but you can redo that if you haven't tiled the floor yet.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

While mortar continues to get stronger over time, it is rated for 'full' strength at 28-days...so things are pretty well stuck! The bond between the mortar and the fleece is the weaker one, so when you try to pull off a tile, that bond will probably break first and take along with it all of the fleece. That makes things trickier.

The training guys said their original curbs did have a slope on the top, but people were not following the arrows and instructions, and had it fairly often sloping out rather than in. As a result, it's 'square' now for quite a long time, but you can set it at a slight angle when installing it or take a little bit off of the bottom to create the desired slope. You can get a little bit more slope when you cover it with the membrane by applying the thinset a little thicker, and being careful when embedding the Kerdi. Then, the waterproofing layer will be sloped along with the setting surface.

Could you live with applying a new cap on top of the existing tile? That may mean new tile on the in and outside as well, making the whole curb that much thicker.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Chele

Well that's the easy fix for sure. I hadn't even thought of that. I don't think I would care if the curb was an inch wider and a half inch higher.

But.... The curb is currently 6" wide, and I was planning on using some premade 6" wide travertine threshold with nice premade bevelled edges. I don't think they had any any wider, so I'd have to try to figure out how to use my 12"x24" travertine tiles with rough, "wholely" edges. I'm not sure how to do that.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
Chele

If the fleece gets damaged, can I just mortar on some new membrane on top of the "fleeceless" membrane, or with the damaged fleece, it wouldn't stick to the new membrane well either? In other words, to remedy the damaged membrane, is the fix simply to re-membrane over top of it? I sure don't want to have to treat all those corners and seams again!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Thinset does not stick to the fleece or the base membrane material...things get attached because the thinset will flow around the fleece fibers when installed properly, then, once it cures, locks it in place. Think pouring hot wax on a fabric...it's all around the fibers, but may not actually be 'sticking'.

So, if the fleece is gone, you can't just use thinset and put a new piece on it. You should call Schluter's help line. You might be able to use KerdiFix to bond a new piece on, but the stuff is fairly pricy. Or, maybe cut it out, use KerdiFix on the seam, then install a new sheet using thinset for the main part of it. KerdiFix doesn't need the same overlap as is required with a Kerdi-Kerdi seam (at least 2").
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Chele

What about removing tile then painting membrane with RedGard?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

The membrane is waterproof unless it is punctured or a seam is not correct. The problem is how to adhere thinset to the membrane that has lost its fleece. You can call Schluter or Custom Building products, but I don't think you'll find RedGard will provide a suitable bond to the membrane without fleece. Let us know what they say. I'm pretty sure KerdiFix will stick to it adequately and can make a suitable seam if you cut the existing stuff off and replaced it, but again, best to double-check.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Chele

Response from Durock

Mike
Thank you for your inquiry. If you are only replacing the top horizontal tile on the curb with travertine, our Durock Liquid Applied Waterproofing would work provided the membrane isnít too damaged. Allow extra time for drying/curing of the liquid over a waterproof substrate.
If you are removing the tile from the whole curb then waterproofing continuity is a concern. You will likely need to replace the membrane as well.
We appreciate your interest in USG products.
Regards
Anne Hyde
Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Chele

How to remove concrete without damaging membrane

Ok. I've removed the tile with very little of the membrane showing. It's mostly just exposed motor. What is the best way to remove mortor without damaging membrane. For instance, would using water help? Or just try to pulverize it the best I can? Any "tricks" I don't know? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #14
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

If the mortar on the curb is too thick to install a new tile at the level you want, you could use a rubbing block to level it. Looks sort of like a brick or a sharpening stone. The cement in mortar, once cured, is not affected by water, so that won't soften or make it any easier to remove. Thinset will stick to thinset, and if what's left is well attached to the membrane, you should be good.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
Chele

Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase