Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
trenolds39

Mildew stains in sealed grout

I've got an older tile tub surround that I've had difficulty keeping clean. I used two coats of 511 impregnator sealer on after cleaning and letting dry for 24 hours. I try and reseal every 12 months, but was curious if I should be doing it more frequently. The water beads on the tile and looks great for a month or two, but then looks like it starts to get saturated near the water line almost instantly when getting wet. I use a squeegee to dry the tile after every use to try and minimize cleaning. Still, some lines get a little of the red/pink mildew stains in them. If the tile is sealed, can I clean it with a brush without damaging the sealer?

For cleaning prior to re-sealing, I've tried Tilelab grout and tile cleaner, Laticrete HD tile and grout cleaner, vinegar, and oxiclean all with varying results. I saw Tilelab has a tile and grout cleaner and resealer now, but am hesitant to use it since their other products don't seem to work for me. Any suggestions on cleaning products I should use? Is there any cleaner I can use to spot clean the grout and then a sealer that only takes 12 hours to dry?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Tanner, just to make sure, you do have ceramic or porcelain tiles and not stone. Is that correct?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
trenolds39

I believe it is ceramic tile, certainly not stone. I can't post links yet, but it is the typical white glazed square tile. The grout lines are 1/4" wide and are a sort of off-white color.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
stu rosen

While cement based grout is mold and mildew resistant ,grout lines get laden with soap,body oils,product oils and a host of other substances that mold and mildew can live in. Keep the grout lines clean using a mold and mildew cleaner and maintaining with a soap film cleaner will help.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
trenolds39

I generally spray the cleaner onto the grout and use a nylon brush to clean it. Does that wear down the sealer, or is that impregnated into the grout itself and not easily removed by abrasion? I was just curious if I had to reseal every time I cleaned if I used a brush on the grout lines.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Kman

You shouldn't have to reseal that often.

You should be able to post links now that you have three posts. It's an anti-spam measure.

If you don't have natural stone, you could use equal parts vinegar and Dawn dishwashing soap (the blue) in a spray bottle. Heating the vinegar before mixing it with the soap helps them mix together better.

Spray it on for an hour, then wipe it with a sponge or rinse it thoroughly to clean it up.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase