Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
16main

installing green marble steam shower

I'm installing green marble on the floor of a steam shower. I understand that epoxy adhesives are recommended for resin backed marbles. there is no resin backing to the tile but manufacturer still recommends epoxy adhesive due to nature of green marbles (?) I have never worked with these adhesives, only epoxy grouts. I understand there is a shorter working time.

I'm looking for some tips on working with it and also recommendations for a product.

Thank you
Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Dave Gobis
da Man!

You understand that many green marbles are moisture sensitive right? That is the reason for the epoxy, so they are not set using a water based product.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Libby,

Expanding just a little on what Dave said, many if not most green marbles will "curl" when they get wet. Yes, they actually bend. It's not too late to change your choice of shower floor material.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #4
16main

I'm not even sure of the type of green marble. It was specified by the designer. I'm only learning that it is problematic. Does it help that it is 2 1/2" squares?

any tricks to using the epoxy? any brand recommendations?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
With 2-1/2 in. squares I wouldn't worry about curling. Thinset and grout will keep them in place. Still, marble is not the best material for a shower floor, and designers sometimes need to be advised.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
16main

Thank you, so to be clear, modified thinset should be fine? Or do I go epoxy mortar?

standard grout, or epoxy?

Appreciate your response.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Epoxy mortar would be my first choice.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The vapor pressure in a steam shower could be quite a problem for green marble...I think any size tile might be problematic with that material in a steam shower. Then again, I've not built one with it.

Throw in that it's fairly easy to etch, so cleaning needs great care, and that's a second strike against it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like John said, the 2 1/2 inch tiles are probably too small to curl but if the manufacturer recommends epoxy, that's what I would use. I would still warn them about using marble in a shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

You’ve got to ask yourself “Do I feel Lucky?” - if I had to shovel these off for any reason, moisture concerning stone to begin with, questionable thinset other than epoxy, soft stone issues - from scratching to bacteria medium, etc. if you were to have to shovel it out, how would you maintain your surface applied waterproofing (assumption)? Or how much wall tile you’ll need to remove/replace after damaging your pan waterproofing?

It’s a crapshoot from a gamblers perspective, but the “house” really knows the odds. The house being the cumulative knowledge of installers worldwide and fellers like Mr Gobis. Not speaking for him, but if he weighs in on a topic it’s likely a stinker of a plan.

If I were in that position I would change horses or if purchased already . . .
I’d learn how to sell something on eBay.

I earn my living being Chicken Man when it comes to operating on the fringes. Consider a nice porcelain.

One mans opinion. Definitely $.02.

Or Set a reminder in your calendar for 2 yrs from now to update us on your issues. May sound negative, but just trying to nudge you away from Greenie.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
073Manager

Marble

Marble in general is not a good idea for a steam shower. Let alone a moisture sensitive stone. Do not do it is my recommendation
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #12
16main

thank you all. We are going ahead with it. talked to mapei rep who suggested I could save my money and felt the 2" sq were not going to be a problem. i am using thinset with polymer additive. epoxy grout. I'll check back in, in 2 yrs. I now know how better to recommend material myself if I am included in that conversation.

Love this forum!!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
073Manager

Very poor choice. Maybelle
Marble should never be in a steam shower. Porcelain or glass
Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sure...the "designer" said to use it. Ask him/her if they would use that in their own home. It has a tendency to curl in the presence of moisture and needs an epoxy binder. NOT a good choice as the other pros here have said......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
Mathman

Even when every reputable source says "bad idea" I don't have to worry because my personal situation can't be the same as the general situations that other people experience. The mantra of our times.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase