Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Jonnyhat

Wood Look Ceramic Tile on a Kitchen Countertop?

So i am a novice when it comes to laying tile and have only completed some flooring and bathroom projects however we are renovating our kitchen and were originally going to do bamboo or butchers block for a kitchen island, but we want this to match the kitchen counter as well. For the sake of durability I dont think wood is the best choice, but I think a wood look ceramic might be the best of both worlds. I am wondering if anyone has done this in a kitchen setting and what your thoughts are? Also I was wondering how to handle the reveal edge? Also do I need to do anything special around the sink? Should I cut the tile out or can I rest the sink lip on top of it? Do I need to use a special epoxy-grout since it is a kitchen counter?

I know I am probably missing a bunch of things and I would love to see pictures if this has been attempted before.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jon, welcome. Other than floors, I've used it on a couple tubsurrounds. A 3x12 bullnose was found that matched well even though it didn't have the wood grain in it. You might check the Schluter edges.

What type of sink to you have? A top set or a tile in sink are both possible.

Epoxy grout would be a good idea.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Jonnyhat

right not i just have a corian counter with a top set sink

Do I need to use backerboard if I am using 3/4" plywood as my base?

Also do I need to treat the edges of the plywood since the sink is only 3 inches from the expised edge near the range? Currently my corian got wet and expanded at this edge
Old 02-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There are different ways it can be done when using 3/4 plywood. I like to hang the plywood over the cabinet edge 3/4 and add a rip of plywood under the edge to give me 1 1/2 inches of thickness. I've seen others just double up on the plywood. I like to keep all my wood plywood, regular 1x2 wood strips will expand more than plywood and can cause problems.

Backer board will work over the plywood, I've mudded most of mine and there are other materials you can use such as Ditra over the plywood.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you are tearing off the whole counter, you might consider using KerdiBoard as your tiling base and the structural layer instead of plywood. The 2" thick stuff works well, but you might get by with the 1.5" stuff. It's waterproof, is not impacted by getting wetted like plywood can, is easy to cut and carry home. You can either use a drop-in sink, or one designed to be undermounted (but with this technique, it actually hangs from the top of the KerdiBoard in a routed recess, then the tile is installed on top of it to lock it in place).
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...310F&FORM=VIRE
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Jonnyhat

I love the idea of kerdiboard, thank you!

I do have a question; with the wood look are the grout lines going to be a problem? It is one thing to have them on the floor, but since I am trying to mimic a wood counter look (but with the durability of tile) I dont want this to detract from it

Also; any idea where I could get a wood look tile to match my tiger bamboo floor?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You might want to consider using either an epoxy grout or a one-part acrylic to avoid having to seal it. Plus, either one is much less likely to be stained. Depending on the tile, you'd want to consider using the minimum grout line and choosing one that didn't announce itself, i.e., blend in as much as possible.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase